COMMERCE CITY, Colo. – Colorado Rapids midfielder Marvin Chávez likely has one more chance to play in a World Cup. And if he doesn’t get into the Rapids lineup soon, the 30-year-old Honduran international likely won’t ever get a chance to play in the world’s biggest soccer tournament.
And he knows it.
In an interview with Deporte Total USA on Wednesday, Chávez expressed concerns over his lack of playing time – he’s appeared in only two games this season with no starts – while adding that he’s open to moving elsewhere.
“If there are other options, I am open to them,” Chávez told the radio program. “But I want to respect the club and I plan on respecting my contract, even though I’m not playing. I need to work hard and I need to earn my place back, and that is my focus.”
Rapids technical director Paul Bravo told reporters on Tuesday that representatives from the Honduran federation were in Colorado last week to discuss Chávez and said the club gave a positive report on the veteran winger.
“We’ve talked long and hard [about keeping him happy],” Bravo said. “[Head coach Pablo Mastroeni] has been there himself and understands how important it is. [Chávez] is fighting each and every day to be a part of the group so he can get his chance to be in the World Cup. It’s always difficult from that standpoint when you think about it.”
- Get more Rapids news at ColoradoRapids.com
Chávez was acquired in a January trade from the San Jose Earthquakes. The La Ceiba, Honduras, native had asked out of San Jose last winter, upset over a lack of playing time. But even with only 39 minutes of action so far this season, Chávez said he doesn’t plan on being a distraction while he pursues his goal of playing for Honduras this summer.
“I respect Pablo and all the decisions he makes,” Chávez told Deporte Total USA. “I think it’s a tactical thing, but I have to remain calm and professional and keep working.”
Chris Bianchi covers the Colorado Rapids for MLSsoccer.com.