US national team handyman Fabian Johnson’s time at Bundesliga club Hoffenheim is coming to an end.
The club confirmed on Thursday that the 26-year-old left defender/midfielder will be leaving at the end of the season, but it’s unclear where he’s headed after his contract runs out at the end of June, or if he’ll even stay in Germany.
Bundesliga club Borussia Mönchengladbach have reportedly shown interest in Johnson, who joined Hoffenheim from VfL Wolfsburg in 2011 and has since appeared in 73 matches and notched five goals and 13 assists. He’s currently sidelined with a broken hand suffered last month.
"We've been fighting since the summer trying to convince Fabian to stay at the club," Hoffeinheim head coach Markus Gisdol said. "However, he's opted for a transfer [to another club]."
Johnson was one the USMNT’s steadiest contributors as both a defender and a midfielder in 2013, logging three assists in eight appearances. He played in six of the team’s 10 CONCACAF World Cup qualifying matches, and is expected to join head coach Jurgen Klinsmann’s roster for a friendly against Ukraine in Kharkiv if healthy.
He has not appeared for the USMNT since he started at right back in the the team’s 2-0 win over Mexico in Columbus on Sept. 10. Johnson suffered a strained left hamstring during the match and had to be substituted at halftime for Michael Parkhurst.
Klinsmann said in a recent interview with USSoccer.com that the US coaching staff has closely monitored Johnson’s recent injury and that he’s hopeful Johnson can return to the fold soon as the World Cup draws closer.
“You have to give them a clear message that only if you pick up a rhythm and play week in, week out, will you complete one of the big keys in order to make the World Cup roster,” Klinsmann said.