Chris Rolfe isn't going anywhere after all.
The Chicago Fire announced Wednesday that they have re-signed their veteran forward, removing him from consideration for Stage 2 of the MLS Re-Entry Draft and keeping him in the Windy City for the foreseeable future.
“We’re pleased to have signed Chris to a new contract,” said Fire head coach and director of soccer Frank Yallop in a statement. “He’s a dangerous attacking threat and provides a steady, veteran presence in the locker room. We’re glad he will remain a part of the club.”
The news marks another promising step in the offseason rebuilding process for Yallop, who took the reins in Chicago last month.
Rolfe began his professional career with the Fire as a third-round selection in the 2005 MLS SuperDraft after a standout collegiate career at the University of Dayton. In seven seasons, Rolfe has appeared in 176 regular season matches, notching 48 career goals and 22 assists.
The Kettering, Ohio native sits second on the club’s all-time regular season goal scoring charts and seventh on the appearance list. In 2013, Rolfe appeared in 31 matches and chipped in four goals and one assist.
- Find more Fire news at Chicago-Fire.com
“I’m really excited that we reached an agreement before the Re-Entry Draft,” said Rolfe. “I’m happy to stay longer in the city I want to be in and with the club I want to be with.”
Rolfe returned to the Fire on April 16, 2012 after spending three seasons with Danish Superliga side Aalborg BK, where he appeared in 32 matches, tallying six goals.
“It was an interesting situation with an old staff leaving and a new staff coming in,” Rolfe told Chicago-Fire.com Wednesday. “The budget situation made it take a little time but in the end I was happy negotiating with Frank and Brian [Bliss, Chicago's technical director], I had a good experience working through it with them.”