TORONTO – With TFC having already added Spanish winger Álvaro Rey to their roster last week, the acquisition of another European player by the Reds appears imminent.
Der Landbote, a Swiss daily newspaper for the city of Winterthur, has reported that 25-year-old Swiss left back Jonas Elmer is on the verge of leaving Swiss Challenge League side FC Winterthur and has agreed to a contract with Toronto FC.
TFC head coach Ryan Nelsen and president and GM Kevin Payne have been vocal in recent weeks about their desire to bolster Toronto’s squad with multiple players, with a particular emphasis placed on attacking threats.
However, one roster challenge that has emerged due to the recent departure of former team captain Darren O’Dea to Ukrainian side Metalurh Donetsk is that Toronto now finds itself with only one left back in struggling youngster Ashtone Morgan.
Thus, the possible acquisition of a player like Elber makes particular sense for a Toronto backline that is currently short on experience and veteran savvy.
Nelsen appeared hesitant while admitting on Tuesday that a player acquisition would likely be announced in short order, which isn’t surprising given the fact that a number of players that Toronto have been linked to in recent weeks have not ultimately ended up joining the club.
“It looks like there could be something, maybe tomorrow to tell you the truth,” Nelsen told reporters following TFC’s training session on Tuesday morning. “I’m holding my breath. I’ve been holding my breath for a few weeks now.”
When asked specifically about Elmer, the TFC gaffer was particularly coy.
“Geez, that would be a good [signing]. What’s he like?” Nelsen said. “I think he’s a pretty decent player actually. So that would be good if a player like that comes in. But we’ll see. I don’t know, I’ll have to read those reports from Switzerland and get back to you.”