Jason Saghini and Andrew Wiebe answered the questions you submitted through @MLSFantasy in this weeks’ edition of MLSsoccer.com's new weekly fantasy show Starting Lineup (above), including insider information of prospective Seattle forward Obafemi Martins' fantasy price tag. Now it's my turn to chime in on the questions that they couldn't get to.
These questions came from the comments section on Dream Team articles and other fantasy-related news. Continue posting your questions and concerns every round because we’ll be doing this weekly from here on out.
1. Scott Carroll asks: Better strategy, early week moves to take advantage of the values increasing or end of the week with more info? (Starting Lineup blog comment)
This is a popular question and one that Jason and Andrew touched on in the video above. Making moves early is a gamble, but if you want to make a quick profit, it’s a risk you'll have to take. Personally, I like to make moves early, but there are other ways to build your team’s value as well. With the launch of our new Stats page, doing the research is so much easier. I recommend checking it out.
Tip: If you want to grow your bank, bookmark this page and monitor it from week to week. If you see a guy drop in price, especially one who you think is undervalued, pick him up.
2. Gordon Alanko asks: Is it time yet to load up on Montreal defense? Transfers In say yes. (Starting Lineup blog comment)
I’d be lying if I told you I didn’t own any Montreal players. There were some great bargains there, although prices have gone up a bit now. The Impact's next two matches are at home, but they play LA and Sporting KC away from home in Rounds 5 and 6. If you don’t buy now, I’d wait until Round 8 for their bye week. Montreal players could potentially lose some value around that time.
Tip: I still consider Jeb Brovsky and Troy Perkins bargains at this point in time. Their values should steadily continue to rise as long as Montreal stay on track. Hassoun Camara (pictured right) could likely move up to $5.3m before the weekend hits, as well.
3. Thomas R. asks: Don’t understand why Aurélien Collin was only credited with two defending bonus points, when he had 20 CBI’s? Is it not a point for every 6? (Dream Team comment)
Great question. Defending and Attacking bonuses are lumped into one category in the player summary, but there are a couple ways they can lose bonus points as well. While Collin did receive three bonus points for his CBI (clearances, blocks and interceptions) total, he also lost one point for an ELG (error leading to goal). This brought his cumulative defending bonus to +2.
Tip: For more on how bonus points are calculated click here. Hit the scoring tab and scroll down.
4. @AaronJL asks: Who is worth spending the big bucks on this season – Wondo, Henry, Bruin? (@MLSFantasy comment)
We’ve seen Thierry Henry and Chris Wondolowski get off to a bit of a slow start, but I think both will improve – Wondo slightly more than Henry. In my opinion, Will Bruin (right) is extremely undervalued right now at $8.8m. He was owned by a lot of people to start the season, but was dropped quickly when they realized Houston had a bye in Round 2. I would take Bruin over both and use the left over money to grab Robbie Keane.
Tip: LA and Houston are two of the top teams in MLS and their players perform consistently. Grab Brad Davis at $8.9m while you’re at it – steal!
5. @iam_emperor asks: how about an article on what goes into the calculations for; Form, Value (Form) and Value (Season)? (@MLSFantasy comment)
No article needed. Here’s the breakdown:
- Form = A players’ PPG (Points per game) average over the past 30 days.
- Value (form) = A players’ Form divided by their current value
- Value (season) = A players’ total points divided by the current value
Tip: The “Form” filter is a great way to find players who are performing on a consistent basis. This is definitely something you'll want to keep your eye on all season.
That does it for Round 3 of Q&A with the Experts. Keep tweeting your questions to @MLSFantasy and commenting on our fantasy news. And if you haven’t had a chance to check it out yet, take a look at the new Stats section that's been added to Fantasy Soccer: Manager. It's a great feature that will help you with the tough decisions you face from week to week.
Join the MLS ExtraTime Radio league ASAP! We’re giving away FREE MLS Live subscriptions after every round. Go to fantasy.mlssoccer.com - Click “Leagues”---> Join a private league ---> Enter this code: 7953-1611