LA GALAXY vs VANCOUVER WHITECAPS
The Home Depot Center, Carson, Calif.
June 23, 2012 (WEEK 16, MLS Game #144)
10:30 pm ET / 7:30 pm PT (TSN, RDS; MLS LIVE; KDOC/KWHY)
The LA Galaxy entertain Vancouver Whitecaps FC at The Home Depot Center. The Galaxy have suddenly hauled themselves back into playoff reckoning, coming off a second consecutive win, a 3-2 comeback victory at Real Salt Lake at midweek. Whitecaps FC embark on a long road swing after an unbeaten three-game homestand ended with a 1-1 draw with the New York Red Bulls.
REFEREE: Allen Chapman. SAR (bench): Frank Anderson; JAR (opposite): Jeremy Hanson; 4th: Leszek Stalmach
MLS Career: 3 games; FC/gm: 21.0; Y/gm: 2.3; R: 0; pens: 0
- LA GALAXY -- OUT: DF Andrew Boyens (L sports hernia surgery); FW Edson Buddle (R knee surgery); FW Adam Cristman (concussion); DF Omar Gonzalez (L knee surgery); MF Dan Keat (R knee surgery); DF Leonardo (R knee inflammation); QUESTIONABLE: DF Bryan Gaul (facial fracture); MF Hector Jimenez (L quad hematoma); FW Pat Noonan (R quad strain)
- VANCOUVER WHITECAPS FC -- OUT: FW Atiba Harris (R knee surgery recovery); FW Omar Salgado (R foot fracture); GK Brian Sylvestre (R knee surgery recovery); DOUBTFUL: MF Matt Watson (R ankle sprain)
INTERNATIONAL ABSENCES: none
- SUSPENDED NEXT YELLOW CARD: VAN: Jun Marques Davidson, Eric Hassli, Gershon Koffie
- SUSPENDED AFTER TWO YELLOW CARDS: VAN: Martin Bonjour, Darren Mattocks Ö LA: David Beckham, Juninho, Landon Donovan
ALL-TIME (2 meetings): Galaxy 2 wins, 7 goals ... Whitecaps 0 wins, 0 goals ...Ties 0
AT LA (1 meeting): Galaxy 1 win, 3 goals ... Whitecaps 0 wins, 0 goals ... Ties 0
RETURN MATCHES: 7/18: Vancouver Whitecaps FC vs. LA Galaxy, 8 p.m. PT (TSN/RDS); 9/1: LA Galaxy vs. Vancouver Whitecaps FC, 7 p.m. PT (TSN2/RDS2)
7/30: VAN 0, LA 4 (Donovan 61, 75; Franklin 80; Cristman 90)
9/17: LA 3, VAN 0 (Magee 40, 75; Keane 64)
- The Galaxy won the first two meetings ever between the clubs in dominant fashion, a 4-0 in Vancouver on July 30 and a 3-0 win at The Home Depot Center on Sept. 17.
- Coaches record: Bruce Arena vs. VAN: P2 W2 L0 D0 Ö Martin Rennie vs. LA: first game
WATCH: Beckham, Keane, LD on Vancouver match
The LA Galaxy suddenly made it two wins on the trot in dramatic fashion, coming back from two goals down for a 3-2 win against Real Salt Lake on Wednesday evening at Rio Tinto Stadium. The Galaxy are in seventh place in the Western Conference with 17 points from 15 games.
- Real had the lead after just nine minutes. Chris Wingert fed Fabi·n EspÌndola on the right flank, and the Argentinean beat Todd Dunivant to the endline and sent it across the middle for Kyle Beckerman, who tapped home for the opener.
- Then in the 24th minute, EspÌndola played creator again, sending another ball to the middle to ¡lvaro SaborÌo. SaborÌo got just a piece of the cross, sending it bouncing up in the air a couple of times before settling in the lower-left corner of the net.
- But five minutes later, the Galaxy started their climb back. RSL defender Tony Beltran, deep in his own third, tried to send a pass back to ëkeeper Nick Rimando six minutes later. Landon Donovan saw the pass coming and rushed to intercept the ball and deposited it after rounding Rimando.
- Real's giving mood continued just five minutes into the second half, with J·mison Olave giving the ball away to Donovan about 30 yards from goal. The Galaxy captain hit a perfect through-ball to Mike Magee, who took a touch and hit a brilliant, left-foot strike to the right corner that caromed off the inside of the post.
- The Galaxy completed the comeback in the 68th minute. Magee sent a ball from the left over the top toward Donovan, who beat an onrushing Rimando to ball, took one touch past the 'keeper and calmly curled it into the open net for the winner.
- Galaxy head coach Bruce Arena made one change to the team that posted a 1-0 win against the Portland Timbers on Sunday afternoon at The Home Depot Center. Mike Magee came into the side in place of Chad Barrett.
- LA GALAXY (4-5-1): Josh Saunders - Sean Franklin, David Junior Lopes, A.J. DeLaGarza, Todd Dunivant - Bryan Jordan (Rafael Garcia 85), Juninho, Marcelo Sarvas (Michael Stephens 63), David Beckham, Mike Magee (Chad Barrett 88) - Landon Donovan.
- The Galaxy are winners of back-to-back games for the second time this season, also recording consecutive wins April 14 and 21 vs. Portland and Colorado.
- "We are starting to move up the ladder a little bit. Three games ago we were sitting in a difficult position and now weíve got six points in two games and we want to get another three on Saturday and that would put us in a decent position as we try to improve in the second half of the season," said Galaxy head coach Bruce Arena. "This week would indicate that things are moving in the right direction."
- Said Landon Donovan: "I think Saturday, our game gave us some life again. Actually, even though they scored those two goals, we didnít feel bad about how we were playing so the energy was still good, the commitment was still there and then obviously you have to get that first goal to get back in the game. It was a little bit of gift but youíve got to take advantage of them."
- It was the 27th multiple-goal game of Donovanís MLS career, the all-time leader in the category. Jeff Cunningham and Ante Razov are the next two, each with 22.
- "That's the kind of player that Landon is, he is certainly capable of doing that," Arena said. "Obviously, the first goal was a mistake by Beltran and he had a great pass on Mageeís goal for the second goal and Magee gave him a great pass to push Landon behind for the third goal. It was a great performance by Landon and by the whole team."
- Arena maintained his tactical scheme, with Donovan playing as the spearhead attacker and the trio of Juninho, Marcelo Sarvas and David Beckham in the heart of the midfield.
- "Once we found out how to pass the ball around, when we did pass the ball around, we got through the defense. I think even at 2-nil down we had a couple of good chances where we split the defense and we saw that there were gaps," said Beckham. "We still felt confident even at 2-0 down. We still felt capable of breaking them down and I think we did that."
- After the visit by Vancouver, eight of the next 10 games for the Galaxy will be away from The Home Depot Center.
- "It hasn't been easy for us to win anywhere this year -- certainly this has been a venue that has been tough to get a win in so getting three points in a place like this makes the win that much more gratifying," said Arena.
- Said Mike Magee: "When we were walking back in the locker room we had a ton of confidence and then somebody showed us a picture of the standings. Weíre still in last place or third-to-last, so we got brought back down to earth real quick."
WATCH: Thorrington, Demerit, Rennie on LA match
VANCOUVER WHITECAPS FC
Vancouver Whitecaps FC completed their three-game homestand unbeaten, reaching a 1-1 draw with the New York Red Bulls on Wednesday evening at BC Place. Whitecaps FC are in third place in the Western Conference with 26 points from 15 games.
- Both of the game's goals came through central defenders in the final quarter-hour. In the 75th minute, Davide Chiumiento created space on the right flank before crossing a low ball into the area. Three Whitecaps made an attempt to go for the ball, before it eventually landed at Martin Bonjourís feet, and he curled it into the upper corner from the top of the box.
- But the Red Bulls equalized in the 86th minute. After a corner was played short, Joel Lindpere put in a cross from the right that found a completely unmarked Heath Pearce, and he headed home from close range.
- Whitecaps FC head coach Martin Rennie made one change to the team that came away with a 1-0 win against the Colorado Rapids at BC Place. Camilo came back into the team in place of the suspended Darren Mattocks.
- VANCOUVER WHITECAPS FC (4-3-3): Joe Cannon - Lee Young-Pyo, Jay DeMerit, Martin Bonjour, Alain Rochat - Gershon Koffie (Long Tan 90), Jun Marques Davidson, John Thorrington - Camilo (Eric Hassli 64), Sebastien Le Toux, Davide Chiumiento (Jordan Harvey 80).
- Whitecaps FC concluded their three-game homestand by taking seven of a possible nine points.
- "This has been a very strong three-game run at home for us, as you say seven points out of nine. It puts us and keeps us in a very strong position, but it also shows the distance that we've come and weíre really disappointed with ties," said Whitecaps FC head coach Martin Rennie. "We need to make sure we feel that disappointment, make sure it hurts us, and make sure it gives us the inspiration to learn and get better."
- The trip to LA begins a five-game road swing for Whitecaps FC. They will not play again at BC Place until July 18, when they meet the Galaxy in a return match.
- It was the first goal in MLS for Martin Bonjour. He has started 14 of 15 games in central defense in his first MLS season.
- "I think tonight he was fantastic defensively, he won lots of headers, he kept Kenny Cooper quiet -- who is a very good player. But it was a fantastic goal and it was nice to get it off in the second phase of a set play. Great finish," said Rennie. "Martin Bonjour has been an outstanding player for us this season and it was very nice to see him getting a goal and hopefully that will just add even more to his play and to his confidence."
- After two games out of the side, Camilo returned to the first XI in place of the suspended Darren Mattocks and played 64 minutes.
- "He's looking pretty fit, pretty sharp. I thought he did well tonight and created himself a lot of chances. On another night he might have scored a couple goals," Rennie said. "Actually with Camilo, Iíve hardly seen him miss any chances, he seems to score most of the ones he gets. Tonight maybe there was a couple he could have done slightly better on, but I think coming back after a couple games out he looked very sharp and very dangerous."
- The goal allowed by the Whitecaps was the first from a corner kick this season, and just the second from a set piece. "On all situations on set plays every single person knows their job," Rennie said. "Everybodyís accountable for every part of the set play, whether it be who theyíre marking or who goes short on a short corner. The minute somebody doesnít do their job it can cost you a goal and it did."
- Davide Chiumiento has assists now in back-to-back games and leads the club with five this season. He had nine in his first MLS campaign.
- "Maybe it's my best moment in my time as a Whitecap. I enjoy every game and I try and play with a smile, play my game and give to the team what I can," Chiumiento said. "I'm really positive and I think with my experience and a couple of other guys with a lot of experience we have to help the younger players and get good results."
- Long Tan came off the substitutesí bench in place of Gershon Koffie late in the match, his first league appearance since April 18.