FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – New England midfielder Marko Perović will miss the remainder of the season after undergoing surgery on his left knee, the Revolution announced on Thursday.
Perović, 27, could return to full soccer participation within 6-9 months once he recovers from the surgery, performed by Dr. Thomas Gill at Massachusetts General Hospital on Thursday.
The former FC Basel midfielder had the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee reconstructed, a medial collateral ligament tear repaired and the medial femoral condyle smoothed out through a chrondroplasty.
Perović initially suffered the injury – and aggravated pre-existing conditions within his left knee – during the Revolution's 3-2 victory over Sporting Kansas City on April 23. He attempted to recover after the initial diagnosis of a left knee sprain and briefly returned to the training field, but he quickly realized that he could not function as usual and stopped all activity with the team.
With Perović now ruled out for the remainder of the campaign after making just four appearances, the Revs have placed him on the season-ending injury list. In accordance with MLS roster rules, the move will clear up a roster spot and a senior international slot, but it will not provide any financial relief within the Revolution's salary budget.
Dabo poised to return against FC Dallas
Although the Revs will travel to Frisco, Texas without Perović and Benny Feilhaber, they will have Ousmane Dabo in the squad to help bolster the ranks in midfield.
Dabo has missed the past three matches with a right adductor strain, but Revolution coach Steve Nicol told MLSsoccer.com that he expects the French midfielder to feature against FCD after he trained in full with his teammates this week.
“We know he's not going to be doing 90 minutes,” Nicol said. “Whatever we do get out of him, you know that he's going to be able to make a difference.”
Both Dabo and Nicol said Dabo's fitness isn't quite where they want it to be after he missed so much practice time, but Dabo said he can work his way back to top form in matches and training sessions so long as he manages to ward off the injury troubles that have dogged him so far this season.
“I hope I will be more lucky,” Dabo said.
Dabo's return should play a key role as the Revs attempt to improve their work in possession and push forward in search of goals, according to Revolution midfielder Shalrie Joseph.
“[It's] huge,” Joseph said. “He allows us to play with a lot more possession. He allows us to contain the ball and keep it in great areas. If he can stay healthy, it's going to be huge for us with Benny coming back soon. But to have him this weekend, I think it's going to be great for the team.”
Joseph's Grenada rejection crucial for Revs
Joseph's decision to remain with the Revolution instead of joining Grenada for the CONCACAF Gold Cup should boost a side stuck contemplating life without him and Feilhaber in the aftermath of Saturday's 1-0 defeat to the LA Galaxy.
Several of Joseph's Revolution teammates made overtures to keep him in Foxborough as he made his final decision over the holiday weekend. Joseph said he heeded those entreaties – and weighed the ramifications of the Galaxy defeat and Feilhaber's absence – as he decided to remain with the Revs.
Nicol said he left the decision solely in Joseph's hands, but he said “any team in the league wants Shalrie stepping on the field for them” and noted that he believed that Joseph made the correct choice in light of Grenada's chances in the tournament.
“We're delighted that we're going to have him,” Nicol said. “We're not that surprised. He hasn't gone previously. It's probably a bit late in the day to be chasing the Gold Cup. Realistically, Grenada will be struggling to get out of their group. There weren't a whole lot of positives for him to go other than to represent his country, but we're delighted he's staying with us.”