The five MLS clubs that have qualified for the 2011-12 edition of the CONCACAF Champions League learned their group matchups after CONCACAF conducted the draw on Wednesday afternoon.
FC Dallas face El Salvador's Alianza while the Seattle Sounders meet Panama's San Francisco in the home-and-home preliminary round that kicks off with first legs to be played on July 26-28 and second legs to follow a week later (Aug. 2-4).
Nutrilite Canadian Championship winners Toronto FC will also participate in the preliminary stage and will Nicaraguan champs Real Estelí.
The three MLS clubs involved in the preliminary round will be hoping to join the LA Galaxy and Colorado Rapids, both automatic qualifiers to the group stage. LA and Colorado were drawn in Group A and Group B, respectively, and each could potentially avoid a Mexican opponent in the group stage depending on results from the preliminary round.
The group stage will begin with the first round from August 16-18 and conclude with the sixth round of matches from October 18-20.
Preliminary Round (July 26-28 and Aug. 2-4)
Motagua (Honduras) vs. Municipal (Guatemala)
Monarcas Morelia (Mexico) vs. Tempête (Haiti)
Isidro Metapán (El Salvador) vs. Puerto Rico Islanders (Puerto Rico)
Santos Laguna (Mexico) vs. Olimpia (Honduras)
Alianza (El Salvador) vs. FC Dallas (USA)
Toronto FC vs. Real Esteli (Nicaragua)
San Francisco (Panama) vs. Seattle Sounders (USA)
Herediano (Costa Rica) vs. Alpha United (Guyana)
1. LA Galaxy (USA)
2. Alajuelense (Costa Rica)
3. Monarcas Morelia (Mexico) / Tempête (Haiti)
4. Motagua (Honduras) / Municipal (Guatemala)
1. Colorado Rapids (USA)
2. Real España (Honduras)
3. Santos Laguna (Mexico) / Olimpia (Honduras)
4. Metapán (El Salvador) / Puerto Rico Islanders (Puerto Rico)
1. Pumas UNAM (Mexico)
2. Tauro (Panama)
3. Alianza (El Salvador) / FC Dallas (USA)
4. Toronto FC (Canada) / Real Estelí (Nicaragua)
1. Monterrey (Mexico)
2. Comunicaciones (Guatemala)
3. Seattle Sounders FC (USA) / San Francisco (Panama)
4. Herediano (Costa Rica) / Alpha United (Guyana)