Hometown: Montevideo, Uruguay
Previous Club: Nacional (URU)
Acquired: Acquired on August 6, 2013 from Uruguayan club, Nacional, as an International Player.
- Joined the Rapids as an international player, but since has gained his green card and no longer takes up an international slot.
- Started 12 of his 17 appearances for the Rapids, missing a number of games with injuries.
- Last season Sánchez was bothered by injuries that limited him to 17 appearances (12 starts), but he was still able to score six goals (mostly from pk’s).
- Appeared in eight of nine remaining matches in the season after being signed on Aug. 6.
- Scored his first MLS goal on Sept. 14 against FC Dallas, and created the play that led to a Dallas own goal in the 2-1 victory.
- Sánchez rose to prominence during his seven years with Toluca of the Mexican First Division from 2001-2007, when he played 242 matches for the club and scored 85 goals, helping them to a pair of championships (Apertura 2002 and Apertura 2005).
- He then moved to Schalke of the German Bundesliga from 2008-10, playing 50 matches and scoring three goals, and helping the team to second place in 2010.
- Returned to Mexico with Club América from 2010-2012, scoring 11 times in 49 appearances.
- Before making the move to MLS, he was with Nacional in his native Uruguay, helping the team into the Copa Libertadores knockout phase.
- With the Uruguayan National Team, Sánchez has made 31 appearances (as of Jan. 31, 2014) since his debut in 2001 and has scored five goals for his country.
- Scored goals in both the 2004 and 2007 editions of the Copa América.