- ESPN Deportes
- MLS LIVE
Hometown: Greenville, North Carolina
College: North Carolina
Birth date: January 24, 1986 (29 years old)
Acquired: Joined the Rapids from the Portland Timbers for allocation money in a deal announced Dec. 8, 2014.
- An eight-year MLS veteran who spent the first six years of his career in Kansas City and the last two years in Portland. The No. 3 overall pick in the 2007 MLS SuperDraft by Sporting Kansas City, Harrington sits among Sporting KC’s career leaders in regular-season games (149) and minutes played (11,633).
- Started 21 of the 25 games he appeared in, contributing two assists during the year.
- Started 33 of the club's 34 matches during the regular season, missing the one game due to injury.
- He led the club with 2,951 minutes played and set new career highs in games and minutes played during the 2013 regular season.
- He played a role in the defense that produced 14 of 15 clean sheets recorded during the season, including playing five straight shutouts at home.
- Played in two matches during the 2013 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup, helping the club reach the semifinals, its deepest run in the U.S. Open Cup in club history.
- Started nine of only 11 games, but surpassed 12,000 minutes played in MLS competition, including postseason.
- Assisted on the game-winning goal by Kei Kamara in a 2-1 win over the San Jose Earthquakes on May 27
- Appeared in a total of 23 matches in 2011, 16 of them starts, helping Sporting KC to a first-place finish in the Eastern Conference during the regular season.
- Started 29 matches and recorded four assists and was a staple at the team’s left back position.
- Named player of the month for June and played the full 90 in 2-1 win over Manchester United in summer friendly.
- Played 27 matches (17 starts) for Sporting KC, logging 1,682 minutes, and finished tied for third on the team with three assists.
- Started all 30 regular-season matches in just his second season in Kansas City.
- Scored two goals and contributed two assists during the regular season
- Started both matches of the club’s postseason series against the eventual MLS Cup champion Columbus Crew.
- Named the club’s rookie of the year after appearing 29 regular-season matches, scoring three goals and contributing four assists.
- Scored his first MLS goal three minutes into his first career MLS start, leading Sporting KC to a 4-2 season-opening win over D.C. United April 14, 2007 at RFK Stadium.
- Started and played 90 minutes in each of match of Sporting KC’s two-game postseason series against Chivas USA.
- Harrington was one of nine original members of the U.S. Soccer Federation’s U-17 residency program at the Bradenton (Florida) Academy in 1999
- Was a member of the U-17 national side that competed in the 2003 FIFA U-17 World Championships in Finland.
- Competed with the U.S. U-20 National Team in the 2005 FIFA U-20 World Youth Championships in Holland under coach Sigi Schmid
- Spent time with the U.S. U-23 National Team leading up to the 2008 Beijing Olympics, before being selected as an alternate.
- Attended the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill from 2003-06, playing in 82 games, registering four goals and 14 assists
- Helped the Tar Heels make four consecutive NCAA tournament appearances and was named to the preseason Hermann Trophy watch list prior to his senior season in 2006.
- Selected to the all-Atlantic Coast Conference first team following his senior year, while earning all-ACC and all-South Region honors in 2005.
- Majored in exercise and sport science in college.
- Enjoys listening to music (especially R&B), reading, playing poker and working on his golf game.
- Favorite soccer player growing up was Thierry Henry, and favorite club is Arsenal.
- Best soccer memory is scoring three minutes into his professional career.
- Always puts left shin guard and left shoe on first when preparing for matches.