- FOX Deportes
- FOX Sports GO
- MLS LIVE
- First in MLS with 0.73 goals against average in 2012, the third-best GAA in league history. Became first goalkeeper from outside the CONCACAF region to lead MLS in GAA.
- Finished third in MLS Goalkeeper of the Year and MLS Newcomer of the Year in 2012.
- Capped three times by Austrian National Team.
- Coach Sigi Schmid: “We like Michael's size. He's got good feet so we can play through him and he's ver good on crosses, takes good angles and has good hands..”
Signed by the Sounders FC as a free agent on December 7, 2011.
DSV Leoben (2001-04), ASKO Pasching (2004-06), Skoda Xanthi (2007-11)
2012: Gspurning burst onto the MLS scene in 2012, earning his place among the league’s elite keepers after finishing first with a 0.73 goals against average and second with a .690 winning percentage (12-4-5). Also finished tied-fifth in MLS with eight shutouts despite playing just 21 games. Finished third in both Goalkeeper of the Year and Newcomer of the Year voting. Kept two of the top 10 longest shutout streaks of the season, 370 minutes (seventh) from 9/22-10/21 and 335 minutes (10th) from 3/31-4/28. Named to MLSsoccer.com Team of the Week for Week 5 after making five saves in a scoreless draw at D.C. (4/7). Did not allow a goal in the two-leg Western Conference semifinals against RSL, making 13 total saves, including a season-high nine in the second leg. Missed 13 games with a hip injury from 5/5-7/15.
Other Professional Experience:
- 2007-11: Played for Skoda Xanthi of Super League Greece. He made 89 appearances, including a career-high 29 in 2009-10 and 26 in 2008-09. Named Super League All-Star in 09-10 and 08-09. Career-high 16 shutouts in 08-09. He holds the Super League record with eight consecutive road shutouts.
- 2004-06: Made seven appearances (five in 04-05, two in 05-06) for ASKO Pasching of the Austrian Bundesliga. He mainly served as the backup keeper, but played in some UEFA Cup matches.
- 2001-04: Played for DSV Leoben of the Austrian Regional League Central, making 52 appearances. He was voted by coaches as the league’s best goalkeeper in 2003-04.
Three caps for the Austrian National Team. Debuted in 2008 in a friendly against Turkey. In 2009, Gspurning started two World Cup qualifiers, a 2-1 win over Romania and a 1-nil loss to eventual group winners Serbia. He also had some call-ups to the U-21 Austrian National Team.
Born in Graz, Austria. Married with one daughter. Speaks German, English, and Greek.