ACQUIRED: FC Dallas acquired the then-18-year-old Colombian striker from Deportivo Cali on March 7, 2011.
The slashing winger came to MLS as a raw 18-year-old talent, terrorizing teams with his speed and 1-v-1 trickery, especially on the counterattack. But under the tutelage of Oscar Pareja, he rounded into a complete attacking player able to score, deliver service and embarrass defenders almost at will. He scored 10 goals and four assists in 2014, then notched nine and nine in an All-Star '15 campaign – and led MLS in dribbles completed per 90 minutes – as renowned Colombia coach Jose Pekerman came calling. Castillo lived with Pareja and his family when he first arrived in the United States, his coach keen to smooth his adjustment with a familiar, comfortable environment.
- 10 things about Castillo: FCD star on his accomplishments, relationship with Pareja
- 24 Under 24 2015: #1 Fabián Castillo, FC Dallas
- 24 Under 24: Castillo dreaming sweet dreams with FC Dallas and Colombia
- Fabian Castillo sheds “potential" label, shows he’s the real deal | INFOGRAPHIC
- FCDallas.com: Castillo bio
INTERNATIONAL: Played in two games for host nation Colombia at the 2011 U-20 World Cup, where he was teammates with current Real Madrid star James Rodriguez. Called up to the senior squad in 2015 and made his full Cafeteros debut vs. Peru on Sept. 8.