Hometown: Charlotte, NC
College: Elon University
Previous Club: Charlotte Eagles (USL)
Acquired: Signed by the Rapids on February 21, 2013
Has started 56 games for the Rapids in two years with the club, recording 17 shutouts.
- Started 25 of his 26 appearances, logging 2,336 minutes in his second year with Colorado, with seven clean sheets.
- Missed the first three games of the season after sustaining an injury in the team’s final match of preseason.
- Recorded 10 shutouts during the season, tied with Joe Cannon (2004) for the Rapids single season record. His 14 wins were the most for a Rapids goalkeeper since Marcus Hahnemann won 16 in 1998 (two via shootout).
- Named Rapids Fan Favorite in end-of-season online voting.
- Earned Save of the Week in MLS Week 6 after saving a penalty kick attempt against Real Salt Lake, earning the Rapids a 1-0 win against their league rivals, on April 6.
- Became the first MLS goalkeeper to face penalty kicks in his first four starts.
- With his shutout on 5/25, Irwin became only the third MLS goalkeeper to record five shutouts in his first 10 career starts.
- Trained with Everton FC for ten days in December.
- Named first-team All-Southern Conference in each of his four seasons. Holds the school record with 22 career shutouts and set a single-season record with 10 clean sheets in 2009. Ranks third all-time at Elon in GAA, and led the school to the 2008 Southern Conference regular-season title.
- Was a two-time NSCAA All-South Region honouree, a finalist for the 2010 Lowe’s Senior Class Award (an award for top senior with notable achievements in four areas of excellence: community, classroom, character and competition), and was on the Hermann Trophy watch list.
- Was named an All-American and National Player of the Year by the National Christian School Athletic Association.
- Was selected by the New England Revolution in 2011, spending preseason on trial with the Revs.
- Played for Capital City F.C. of the Canadian Soccer League in Ottawa, Ontario, in 2011. Scored a goal as goalkeeper in a 2-2 draw with the Windsor Stars.
- Joined the Charlotte Eagles of the USL Pro Division in 2012, making his debut for the team on July 6, 2012.
- Chosen as the 2006 North Carolina Player of the Year by the NSCAA.
- Named All-American and National Player of the Year byt the National Christian School Athletic Association
- Is a talented writer and has contributed articles to ColoradoRapids.com and SportsIllustrated.com.