Hometown: Monument, Colorado
College: Loyola Marymount
Birth date: October 15, 1984
Acquired: Selected third by the Colorado Rapids via the Waiver Draft, on Dec. 10, 2014
Burling returns to his home state of Colorado for his 10th MLS season. One of the tallest defenders in the league at 6 feet 5, Burling is an imposing presence in the back.
- He made 22 appearances (20 starts) during the 2014 season with Chivas USA.
- His campaign got off to a bright start, as he netted only his second career goal, a game-winning header at home against the Chicago Fire, March 9.
- Signed contract extension in the fall of 2013 that would have kept him with Chivas through 2015, but when the club disbanded following the 2014 season, he was picked up by the Rapids in the MLS Waiver Draft.
- Made 18 starts in 23 appearances for Chivas USA despite nursing injuries in 2013.
- Named to MLS Team of the Week for his performance in Week 5 against Vancouver Whitecaps FC.
- Made 48 appearances in two seasons with the San Jose Earthquakes.
- Selected by Montreal in the 2011 MLS Expansion Draft, but the Impact traded his rights to Chivas USA for one season's use of an international roster slot on July 6, 2012.
- Drafted by the LA Galaxy in the 2007 MLS SuperDraft out of Loyola Marymount University and eventually signed with Chivas USA three months later.
- Made 23 appearances with Chivas USA from 2007-09, his first three years as a professional.
- Played four years at Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles under Coach Paul Krumpe, who played for the USA in the 1990 World Cup in Italy.
- A striker during his first three years of college, he was switched to central defender as a senior and was named to the all-West Coast Conference team.
HIGH SCHOOL IN COLORADO
- A 2003 graduate of Lewis-Palmer High School in Monument, near Colorado Springs, where he played soccer for Kurt Clark and Vic Garcia.
- Four-year letter winner in both soccer and basketball and captain of the teams in both sports his junior and senior years.
- Named to all-state academic teams in both sports for four straight years, and was the Most Valuable Player in the State Cup competition in soccer in 2002.
- Selected to the Colorado soccer coaches all-star game three straight years.
- Used to watch Rapids matches at Mile High Stadium in the early years as a fan.
- Played in a Reserve match for the Colorado Rapids on May 23, 2012. He played the full 90 minutes in a 2-2 tie with Houston Dynamo while in between clubs.
- As a youngster, he played in the same youth soccer team as the son of former Rapids head coach, Glenn ‘Mooch’ Myernick.