Here are the Top 15 soccer stories we’re following today.
1. REVS EXPLAIN AGUDELO MOVE: The New England Revolution had been searching high and low for a forward and found one on Tuesday in Chivas USA and New York Red Bulls Academy product Juan Agudelo. Revs GM Mike Burns revealed the discussions began taking place late last week and they moved quickly: “He can score goals. He can set up goals,” Burns told RevolutionSoccer.net. “We’re pretty excited.” Watch the video interview here.
2. CAN REVOLUTION FIND NET VS. BANGED UP RSL?: Agudelo won't make it in time for tonight's match, when New England put their current attack to the test against an RSL side that could be missing defensive leader Nat Borchers (8 pm ET, MLS LIVE). The Revs are hoping for anything to jumpstart the season Designated Player Jerry Bengtson, who's not exactly been lighting up the scoreboards. But there's a reason, says New England manager Jay Heaps.
3. DC OUT TO END LOSING SKID VS. HOUSTON: The Revs-RSL match is one of six in MLS on Wednesday. The first match of the night is an MLSsoccer.com free Stream of the Week special (7 pm ET, MLS LIVE) and it kicks off from RFK Stadium, where reeling D.C. United are looking to avoid their sixth loss in a row against a motivated Houston side coming off a big win in LA against the Galaxy. D.C. could get Chris Pontius and Nick DeLeon back, while the Dynamo maybe be opting for some lineup changes of their own. Meanwhile, the Dynamo have resolved the Brickwall Firm controversy surrounding a homophobic tweet.
4. MONTREAL WANT TO MAKE A STATEMENT AT RED BULL ARENA: The Impact sense the opportunity to continue to show they're for real with a win at New York (7:30 pm ET, MLS LIVE). Both teams are involved in a four-way tie atop the East and Montreal manager Marco Schällibaum is challenging his troops for what they're calling "an exam": "We’ll have to play like a team that wants to be at the top.” Meanwhile, red-hot RBNY scorer Tim Cahill expects "a night for some good football."
5. WILL KAMARA MAKE 2013 DEBUT VS. SEATTLE?: Just days after making his celebrated return to KC following a spell at EPL side Norwich City, Kei Kamara is expected to be in SKC's 18-man squad when they host Seattle (8:30 pm ET, MLS LIVE). While SKC midfielder Paulo Nagamura was suspended for stomping on a player's hand last weekend, USMNT All-Star center back Matt Besler could also miss out. Another center back, Seattle's Patrick Ianni, could be making his season debut.
6. WEST HEAVYWEIGHT BATTLE IN DALLAS: The two surprise outfits of the MLS season thus far meet at FC Dallas Stadium (9 pm ET, MLS LIVE) with the Portland Timbers looking to eat into the FC Dallas lead in the Western Conference. While FCD will have their own injury absences, Portland are also battling a center back health crisis, but manager Caleb Porter insists: "You're not going to stop us."
7. WHEELING-AND-DEALING TORONTO FACE SAN JOSE: After making two transfer deadline-day signings official on Tuesday — the Reds acquired Scottish defender Steven Caldwell and New Zealand forward Jeremy Brockie — Toronto FC make the daunting trip to San Jose (10:30 pm ET, MLS LIVE). TFC hope to stop leaking late goals against an Earthquakes side that has built a reputation on it.
8. FANTASY TEAMS LOCK EARLY TONIGHT: With several teams playing two matches during Week 11, which players are most likely to rack up points in both games and give your MLS Fantasy: Manager teams the edge? Find out what the fantasy experts think before setting your lineup ahead of the double dose of league action.
9. SLAIN REFEREE TO BE HONORED TODAY: The Salt Lake City referee who lost his life after being struck by a player will be remembered in a funeral service later this afternoon. Real Salt Lake are encouraging the soccer community to "stand peacefully and silently outside the church and along the route to the church to show our respect."
10. USOC PLAY-IN MATCHES: FC Hasental and Georgia Revolution won their respective US Open Cup preliminary matches last night and entered the first round of the tournament proper, which kicks off next Tuesday. Find out which of the games went to PKs and what the first round looks like now.
11. CHICAGO FIRE MEET WITH ROBBIE ROGERS: A tweet by Rogers himself tipped off this summit, which took place in Los Angeles. It involved Fire owner Andrew Hauptman and president Javier Leon. At least Rogers came away with good vibes. Read what he said here.
12. EXPORTS: GUZAN LAUDED, ALTIDORE HELD BACK: US goalkeeper Brad Guzan was the best Aston Villa player this year. That's according to the club's players and supporters. Yep, he walked away with two trophies as Player of the Year, and now there's talk of West Ham seeking his transfer. In Holland, AZ Alkmaar's best player is also an American, but the news there is that Jozy Altidore won't be allowed to join USMNT camp in May. Club's orders.
13. BROOKS LEANING TOWARD USMNT: Highly-touted Hertha Berlin defender John Anthony Brooks looks like he may be close to pledging his allegiance to Tab Ramos and US Under-20 national team. "If all goes well, there's a very good chance that Brooks will go to the World Cup," Ramos tells ESPN.com's Jeff Carlisle.
14. SIR ALEX FERGUSON RETIRING: It's all anyone is talking about in Europe. After 27 years, Sir Alex Ferguson is calling it quits. Officially. Don't know much about him? Watch this half-hour documentary on his achievements. It's pretty interesting that MUTV's own pundit thought it was "a load of rubbish" just a few hours after the announcement was made. He was outraged.
15. SOCCER ON TV: Staying abroad, here are the matches that will whet your appetite ahead of the MLS action later tonight. Chelsea and Tottenham will do battle with a UEFA Champions League spot in their sights (2:30 pm ET, Fox Soccer), Pescara host AC Milan in the Serie A (noon ET, beIN Sport) with Inter welcoming Lazio (2:30 pm ET, beIN Sport). beIN Sport Español has the two Madrid powers: Celta Vigo vs. Atlético Madrid (1:30 pm ET) and Real Madrid vs. Málaga (3:30 pm ET). The USA also play Guatemala in a CONCACAF Beach Soccer qualifier (1 pm ET, Fox Deportes).
Get the Kick-Off delivered to you!
Enter your email address and favorite team below to sign up for The Kick-Off mailing list and get it delivered to your inbox every morning.