Top 10: Moreno's greatest moments
1. MLS CUP GOALS: Two of the four D.C. United MLS Cup championships carry the signature of Moreno. He sported bleached blond hair when he tallied his team’s first goal in the 37th minute of 1997 MLS Cup at rainy RFK Stadium. He was also the first on the score sheet at the 1999 MLS Cup as DC beat rivals LA Galaxy 2-0 for their third title.
2. ALL-TIME MLS GOALS RECORD: On Aug. 22, 2007 Moreno became Major League Soccer’s all-time leading goal-scorer (109) on a penalty kick converted against hated rivals New York. That penalty kick would win Goal of the Week honors.[inline_node:315817]
3. 1994 WORLD CUP: At the age of 20, Moreno was the youngest member of the Bolivian World Cup squad that participated in the 1994 World Cup held in the US. However, the striker did not see a minute of action.
4. ENGLISH PREMIER LEAGUE: Moreno becomes the first Bolivian player to sign for an English Premier League team in 1994, with Middlesbrough.
5. COMEBACK FROM BACK SURGERY: After surgery on two herniated discs nearly ended his career, Moreno came back better than ever in 2004, registering 14 assists and leading D.C. United’s charge to their fourth MLS Cup title. [inline_node:315818]
6. GOLDEN BOOT 1997: Despite being the MLS' all-time leading goal scorer, Moreno had but one season in which he captured the Golden Boot – when D.C. United won the 1997 MLS Cup.
7. MLS 100-100 CLUB: Moreno became the first player in MLS history to reach 100 goals and 100 assists when he registered his first assist of the 2009 season on April 17, 2009. To this day, he is the only player to achieve the feat.
8. COPA AMÉRICA FINAL 1997: Moreno featured in Bolivia’s magical run to the 1997 Copa América final, played on Bolivian soil, where they fell 3-1 at the final hurdle to Brazil. He scored the game-winning goal in the semifinal against Mexico.
9. CONFEDERATIONS CUP 1999: Moreno made two appearances for Bolivia in another major FIFA competition – the 1999 Confederations Cup against Saudi Arabia and hosts Mexico.
10. INTERNATIONAL FAREWELL MATCH: Moreno's final match in a Bolivia jersey came in a 2-0 defeat at the hands of El Salvador on Oct. 22, 2008, at his MLS home of RFK Stadium.