De los Cobos addresses future at Chicago

BRIDGEVIEW, Ill. – Last week, after the Fire lost at home to Kansas City 2-0, defender C.J. Brown said that jobs would be on the line for next season.

On Saturday, after Chicago tied D.C. United 0-0, Fire head coach Carlos de los Cobos addressed questions regarding his own future with the club.

The Mexican gaffer, who failed to guide the Fire to the playoffs for just the second time in club history this year, is wanted back at his former post as manager of El Salvador’s national team by Salvadoran sporting officials.

READ: El Salvador wants de los Cobos back

But de los Cobos remains firmly devoted to the Fire.

“I still have a commitment with the Chicago Fire for one more year,” de los Cobos said when asked if he would be back in Chicago in 2011. “As you can see, we are already working for next season … and we hope that next season is a lot different from this season.”

De los Cobos was manager of El Salvador from 2006 to 2009. While in charge, he led los Cuscatlecos to their best finish in World Cup qualifying since the 1998 cycle.

Sam Stejskal covers the Chicago Fire for MLSsoccer.com. Email him at sam.h.stejskal@gmail.com and follow him on Twitter @samstejskal.


To report a comment, mouseover or touch the comment and then click/touch the flag icon (Flag).