Brazil Bracket Challenge: MLSsoccer.com editors give you their choices for the group stage
Even though Nate Silver came out with his World Cup odds on Monday, we at MLSsoccer.com have our own predictions for the upcoming World Cup. We polled ten of MLSsoccer.com’s editors on a couple of different topics and today we will be looking at who they picked to get out of the group, and in what place.
GROUP A: Brazil, Cameroon, Croatia, Mexico
- All 10 of the editors polled had Brazil coming in first place in Group A.
- Second place was a toss-up between two teams: Croatia and Mexico. Six of the editors chose Croatia while four picked Mexico to get out of the group.
GROUP B: Australia, Chile, Netherlands, Spain
- Surprisingly, the Netherlands were not picked to finish first by any of the editors. Instead, eight picked Spain to top the group while Chile received the remaining two votes.
- Simon Borg left Spain in the cold, picking them to get knocked out in the group stage. Editors were split among Chile (7), Netherlands (2), and Spain (1) for second place.
GROUP C: Colombia, Greece, Ivory Coast, Japan
- 70 percent of the editors chose Colombia to win Group C with the Ivory Coast receiving the remaining 30 percent.
- Second place was split almost evenly between Ivory Coast (4), Colombia (3), and Japan (3).
GROUP D: Costa Rica, England, Italy, Uruguay
- In one of the Groups of Death, the top spot was hotly contested. Three different teams were picked to finish first as Italy and Uruguay topped the list four times each while England received two first-place votes.
- Six editors saw England as being the team that will not make it out the group.
- Italy were picked second by 50 percent of the editors and Uruguay took home the remaining 30 percent.
GROUP E: Ecuador, France, Honduras, Switzerland
- Only Andrew Wiebe picked Switzerland to finish first with France (5) and Ecuador (4) splitting the remaining nine votes.
- Second-place was split amongst all four teams with France leading the way with four followed by Ecuador (3), Switzerland (2), and Honduras (1).
GROUP F: Argentina, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Iran, Nigeria
- There was a consensus among the 10 editors, all of whom picking Argentina to win the group.
- Nine of the editors chose Bosnia and Herzegovina as their second-place finisher with Nick Rosano being the only holdout, tabbing Nigeria to get out of the group.
GROUP G: Germany, Ghana, Portugal, USA
- 90 percent of the editors chose Germany to finish first with Ben Baer being the only one to choose Portugal to win the Group of Death.
- Three editors chose USA to make it to the round of 16.
- Five edtiors chose Portugal to finish second while Germany and Ghana were each selected once to make it to the knockout rounds.
GROUP H: Algeria, Belgium, Russia, South Korea
- Belgium were picked to finish first by nine of the editors with Simon Borg being the only holdout, choosing South Korea as his group winner.
- Five editors chose Russia to finish second while South Korea (4) and Belgium (1) were chosen by the other editors.
OTHER ARTICLES TO HELP YOU FILL OUT YOUR BRACKET
Helpful tips to pick your semifinalists
Who does Goldman Sachs have winning it all?
Which international power is most likely to bow out after the group stage?
How far do you have USMNT going?
How far do you have El Tri going?
10 facts about the World Cup squads to help you fill out your bracket
Which team faces the hottest schedule at the World Cup?