LA Galaxy's Landon Donovan wins Player of the Week award in a landslide after record-setting night
Week 12's MLS Player of the Week award became a formality when Landon Donovan made history on Sunday night.
The LA Galaxy star has won this week's installment in a landslide, thanks to a two-goal performance that helped vanquish the Philadelphia Union 4-1 and made him the league's all-time leading scorer. He also chipped in an assist to boot.
Donovan was named on all but two of the ballots cast by members of North American Soccer Reporters, while Portland Timbers striker Maximiliano Urruti finished as the runner-up with the lion's share of second-choice ballots. (See how the NASR members voted here.)
It's the first POTW nod for Donovan this season, and also the first time a member of the Galaxy has earned the honor in 2014.
2014 MLS PLAYER OF THE WEEK
- Week 12: Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy)
- Week 11: Federico Higuaín (Columbus Crew)
- Week 10: Harry Shipp (Chicago Fire)
- Week 9: Joao Plata (Real Salt Lake)
- Week 8: Bradley Wright-Phillips (New York Red Bulls)
- Week 7: Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)
- Week 6: Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders)
- Week 5: Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders)
- Week 4: Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)
- Week 3: Bernardo Añor (Columbus Crew)
- Week 2: Jermain Defoe (Toronto FC)
- Week 1: Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)