American Exports: Edgar Castillo announces Tijuana departure, move to Atlas
GUADALAJARA, Mexico – All the speculation surrounding left back Edgar Castillo leaving Club Tijuana appears to have been accurate. The 27-year-old confirmed on Friday he is heading to Liga MX side Atlas.
Castillo wrote that he would be leaving Xolos on Thursday, when he posted a message on his Twitter account. He told Cancha on Friday that his final destination will be Los Zorros.
“In Tijuana I lasted two and a half years, I did well and thought I’d stay longer, but it wasn’t like that and I hope that at Atlas it will be much longer,” Castillo told the publication.
Castillo stressed that he has matured at Tijuana and is ready for the new challenge at the club coached by Tomás Boy, who will have money to work with following a buy-out by TV Azteca in late 2013.
“Thanks to all the fans that supported me in this great adventure called Xoloitzcuintles,” read Castillo's Twitter message on Thursday in Spanish.
Castillo went on to thank the club’s directors and president for having confidence in him and announced it was time for him to leave the “beautiful city” to start a new stage of his footballing career.
— Castillo (@edgarcastillo40) May 22, 2014
Castillo recently missed out on the US national team’s World Cup squad despite having featured regularly under Jurgen Klinsmann. Castillo has previously played for Santos Laguna, Club América and Tigres in the Liga MX.
At time of publication, neither club had made an official announcement.
Tom Marshall covers Americans playing in Latin America for MLSsoccer.com. E-mail him at firstname.lastname@example.org.