MLS Fantasy Advice: How will injuries & call-ups affect your defensive options for Round 12?
Aurélien Collin ($10.1m) left Wednesday's game against Philadelphia with a hamstring injury and some are projecting it could be a couple weeks before the Sporting KC center back makes a full recovery.
With that in mind, it should come as no surprise that he's atop the most-dropped list already for Round 12.
Lawrence Olum ($6.1m) was expected to partner up with Collin in central defense while Matt Besler ($9.4m) was away with the US national team, but he unexpectedly received a call-up from Kenya for African Cup of Nations qualifiers.
Who fills in for Sporting KC while Olum and Collin are out still remains to be seen, but a few experts are predicting a pairing of Chance Myers ($8.4m) and Uri Rosell ($6.7m), although Rosell has been limited in practice this week with a quad injury. Could this mean the debut of 17-year-old Erik Palmer-Brown ($4.0m)? We shall soon find out. Regardless, it's time to start planning for the future.
There are four double-game weeks on the docket for Round 12, which means it's time to capitalize on some lower-priced defenders. Here are a few worth considering...
- Michel ($8.1m) – Deadly set-piece specialist who'll be at the forefront of FC Dallas' attack
- Zach Loyd ($5.3m) – If healthy, he'll be one of the cheapest starting defenders with a DGW
- David Horst ($6.4m) – Reliable CB guaranteed to record 90 minutes in both matches
- Bobby Boswell ($8.6m) – Pricey, but he's the No. 2 overall scorer among all defenders
- Kofi Sarkodie ($6.4m) – Hasn't exploded offensively yet, but they'll need him to with Brad Davis and Boniek Garcia gone
- Kofi Opare ($6.4m) – Could be LA's replacement for Omar Gonzalez, although A.J. DeLaGarza could move back inside if Todd Dunivant returns from injury
Are injuries and international call-ups limiting your options? Who are some defenders you're considering adding to your team? Tell us in the comments below.