New York Red Bulls' Bradley Wright-Phillips edges Clint Dempsey for MLS Player of the Week
The first Englishman to score a hat trick in MLS is now also Week 8's Player of the Week.
Bradley Wright-Phillips was voted the MLS Player of the Week on Monday after scoring four goals in two games for the New York Red Bulls, including a hat trick in a 4-0 triumph against the Houston Dynamo last Wednesday.
That impressive performance, combined with the well-taken equalizer the veteran forward scored in a 1-1 draw at the Columbus Crew this past Saturday, saw him edge out Seattle Sounders attacker Clint Dempsey, 6-5, in the balloting. (See how the NASR members voted here.)
Dempsey continued his torrid start to the season by bagging a brace in the Sounders' 4-1 win over the Colorado Rapids. Dempsey, the league's current leading scorer, now has eight goals in six games.
2014 MLS PLAYER OF THE WEEK
- Week 8: Bradley Wright-Phillips (New York Red Bulls)
- Week 7: Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)
- Week 6: Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders)
- Week 5: Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders)
- Week 4: Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)
- Week 3: Bernardo Añor (Columbus Crew)
- Week 2: Jermain Defoe (Toronto FC)
- Week 1: Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)