How to start preparing for first double-game week of season | MLS Fantasy Advice
We're less than a week away from one of the most exciting parts of the 2014 MLS Fantasy season: double-game weeks.
For those who are not familiar, a double-game week (aka "DGW") is when a team plays two matches within the same round. What's the benefit of this? Double the points, of course. If done right, DGWs will provide you with a chance to leapfrog other fantasy managers in the overall rankings. It is without a doubt one of the most strategic aspects of the game.
There are 64 DGWs between Rounds 7-33. From now until the end of the season, at least one team will host a DGW in all but four rounds. Which means from now on there will be plenty more points for the taking. Expect top scores in the 100-plus range.
You've already been provided with an image that details all of the DGWs for the entire season (below), but here's a simple rundown of each team's DGW by round:
- Chicago Fire: 14, 17, 21, 30
- Chivas USA: 13, 17, 26, 33
- Colorado Rapids: 10, 14, 21
- Columbus Crew: 10, 14, 19
- D.C. United: 12, 21, 25
- FC Dallas: 10, 12
- Houston Dynamo: 8, 10, 12, 31
- LA Galaxy: 12, 19, 24, 25, 27
- Montreal Impact: 16, 20, 27
- New England Revolution: 19, 21, 26
- New York Red Bulls: 8, 19, 21, 27
- Philadelphia Union: 7, 11, 19, 26
- Portland Timbers: 13
- Real Salt Lake: 14, 21
- San Jose Earthquakes: 10, 24, 27, 31
- Seattle Sounders: 10, 24, 29
- Sporting KC: 11, 13, 19, 26
- Toronto FC: 17, 19, 21, 26, 31
- Vancouver Whitecaps: 16, 19, 27
Here are some quick notes to take away from the DGW schedule:
- From Rounds 8-12, the Dynamo have three DGWs. During that span, no other team has more than one, except Dallas (two). Want to build your bank? Start adding players from both of these teams now!
- You have been granted UNLIMITED transfers in Rounds 11, 15 and 16
- Toronto and LA have the most DGWs of any team (5). Seven teams have four: CHI, CHV, HOU, PHI, NY, SJ, SKC
- Toronto have all five of their DGWs after the World Cup in June (Rounds 17-31)
While DGWs are a great way to go rack up points, there's always the possibility of it coming back to haunt you. Keep this in mind:
- Risk vs. Reliability: Coaches will rest certain players so pick your poison. Try your best to choose players who will be guaranteed 90 minutes in both games.
- Maxing out your options: You can select up to four players from any team this season. Philadelphia have the first DGW of the season in Round 7 and then they play at Montreal in Round 8. That's a pretty decent follow-up fixture so maybe holding onto one or two of their players isn't all that bad.
- Use your transfers wisely: Taking multiple minus-four-point deductions to bring in DGW players isn't always the smartest decision. Is it better to have Federico Higuaín vs D.C. (at home) in Round 8 OR Conor Casey vs New York (away) and Houston (home)?
Have some concerns about which players to choose for the upcoming DGWs? Discuss in the comments or hit us up on Twitter: @MLSFantasy