MLS past, present & future collide as 2014 Reserve League schedule announced
Major League Soccer announced on Monday the complete schedule for the 2014 MLS Reserve League, which features eight MLS teams competing in a single-table format with 28 interleague games between MLS teams and USL PRO clubs.
In the second year of the partnership between MLS and USL, 10 MLS teams have entered official affiliations with USL PRO teams:
· Columbus Crew with Dayton Dutch Lions
· D.C. United with Richmond Kickers
· Houston Dynamo with Pittsburgh Riverhounds
· Sporting Kansas City with Orlando City SC and Oklahoma City Energy FC
· New England Revolution with Rochester Rhinos
· Philadelphia Union with Harrisburg City Islanders
· Portland Timbers and San Jose Earthquakes with Sacramento Republic FC
· Toronto FC with Wilmington Hammerheads FC
· Vancouver Whitecaps FC with Charleston Battery
In addition, the LA Galaxy have formed an independently operated USL PRO team, LA Galaxy II, to begin play for the upcoming 2014 USL PRO season.
FC Dallas and the Montreal Impact will kick off 2014 MLS Reserve League action March 9, and the schedule will conclude with a game Oct. 12 between Chivas USA and the Colorado Rapids.
Among the highlights on the schedule are previews of future full MLS matchups between Orlando City – in their final season in USL PRO before making the leap to MLS in 2015 – against FC Dallas (Apr. 22) and the Montreal Impact (June 7).
Former MLS player and coach Preki (above), now coach of Sacramento Republic FC, will face the team where he began his coaching career, Chivas USA, on April 7, while the Galaxy-Seattle Sounders rivalry will take on a new dimension when the Sounders host LA Galaxy II on June 1.
The complete MLS Reserve League schedule is available here. Schedule is subject to change; additional games may be added.