NCAA: Connecticut top No. 16-seeded UMBC to book spot in third round
The second round of the NCAA Division I men's soccer tournament presented few problems for the seeded teams in the early slate of games, with Connecticut's shootout win over No. 16 UMBC and Coastal Carolina's 1-0 victory over No. 13 UNC Charlotte the only wins for unseeded teams over seeded teams in the day's first 12 games.
In Baltimore, UConn senior forward Mamadou Diouf notched a goal and an assist in a goal-filled second half that ended 2-2. Neither team was able to grab a winner in extratime but the Huskies held their nerve in the shootout, winning 4-2 and booking a date with top-seeded UCLA, comfortable 4-0 winners over Elon in Sunday's late game.
It was a different tale for the seeded teams hosting the later games, though, as No. 10 UCSB were the highest seed to fall on the night, dropping a 1-0 decision to Penn State. Later in the evening, Stanford topped No. 15 CSU Northridge, also 1-0, to book a third-round date with Pac-12 rivals No. 2 Washington. Washington won both regular-season meetings against the Cardinal, 3-1 and 2-0.
Here is a complete list of the second-round results from all 16 games being played on Sunday. Home teams listed first:
- (6) Georgetown 3, Old Dominion 0
- (8) Virginia 2, St. John's 0
- (11) Michigan State 1, Louisville 0
- (4) California 3, Bradley 1
- (5) Maryland 3, Providence 1
- (12) UC Irvine 1, North Carolina 0
- (14) Wake Forest 2, Navy 1
- (16) UMBC 2, Connecticticut 2 (Connecticut wins 4-2 on PKs)
- (9) Marquette 1, Akron 0
- (3) Notre Dame 4, Wisconsin 0
- (13) UNC Charlotte 0, Coastal Carolina 1
- (7) New Mexico 1, George Mason 0
- (2) Washington 4, Seattle 2
- (10) UC Santa Barbara 0, Penn State 1
- (15) CSU Northridge 0, Stanford 1
- (1) UCLA 4, Elon 0