MLS Fantasy: How to build a team that will compete in the Fantasy Cup for under $100m
REMINDER: August 30 (645pm ET) is the deadline to enter MLS Fantasy Cup Challenge
You want to get involved in Major League Soccer's Fantasy Cup Challenge, but you're having a hard time selecting a team? Never fear, I'm here to help.
If you're new to MLS Fantasy or unfamiliar with how the game works I encourage you to look through the links below to help get you started. Otherwise, fast forward to the next section.
- Where do I register?
- How do I set up my team?
- How do I create or join a league?
- How does the scoring system work?
- How do substitutions work?
- What formations can I use?
- How does the transfer system work?
- What are the deadlines I need to know?
- What prizes can I win?
- What are some strategies for success
Format: You have $100m to spend on 15 players: five defenders, five midfielders, three forwards and two goalkeepers.
Tactics: Some people like to invest all their money in 11 expensive players and buy cheap players to fill the remaining four positions, However, I don't particularly agree with this style of play.
With a limited number of transfers available each week, it's going to be very tough finding players who won't miss time due to bye weeks, suspensions, injuries and international call-ups.
With that being said, I've created a team for under $100m using players who I think will likely produce over the next several weeks, barring an unforeseen injury of course.
I created the team below on Tuesday night so some players have increased in price. But since I underspent - ($99.1m total) - this exact team could still be yours.
Jata's $100m Fantasy Cup Team
- GK - Jaime Penedo - $4.8m
- GK - Michael Gspurning - $5.5m
- DEF - DeAndre Yedlin - $4.7m
- DEF - Hassoun Camara - $5.1m
- DEF - Aurelien Collin - $6.9m
- DEF - Chris Klute - $5.3m
- DEF - Jordan Harvey - $4.5m
- MID - Lamar Neagle - $5.3m
- MID - Kelyn Rowe - $5.3m
- MID - Diego Valeri - $7.8m
- MID - Javier Morales - $9.4m
- MID - Brad Davis - $8.7m
- FWD - Conor Casey - $7.8m
- FWD - Thierry Henry - $10.3m
- FWD - Juan Agudelo - $7.7m
Current Team Value: $99.1m In the Bank: $0.9m
Some people think it's tougher to a field a team that will compete in the Fantasy Cup because player values have increased over the course of the season. To those I would say, you're wrong.
People who are creating a team for the first time right now actually have a huge advantage because they are not subject to transfer restrictions/point deductions. You can set your lineup however you want and prepare yourself for the double-game-week in Round 29.
Honestly, a part of me likes the team I just built more than the team I've been playing with all season. And that team has a value of $110m.