MLS Fantasy: Who should be among the most-owned players in MLS Fantasy right now?
After 23 rounds of MLS Fantasy Soccer, you think it would be a little easier to find consistent scoring from week to week. Well, that's not the case this season. In fact, it's the opposite.
At the beginning of the season there were several standout performances, but just like in any sport, all players have a dip in form at some point or another.
Today, we're going to take a look at the 21 players who scored eight or more points in Round 23.
MLS Fantasy Round 23 (top players)
Below is a list of the top scoring players from Round 23 along with the percentage of owners who currently have them on their roster.
- Alvaro Saborio (17 points) - 3.9
- Dillon Powers (12 points) - 11.1
- Fabian Espindola (11 points) - 7.2
- Zac MacMath (10 points) - 4.7
- Victor Bernardez (10 points) - 4.2
- Hendry Thomas (9 points) - 0.8
- Luis Silva (9 points) - 1.9
- Brandon Barklage (9 points) - 2.4
- Shea Salinas (9 points) - 1.0
- Drew Moor (8 points) - 6.5
- John Thorrington (8 points) - 0.5
- Brad Davis (8 points) - 12.3
- Troy Perkins (8 points) - 16.1
- Matteo Ferrari (8 points) - 3.7
- Jeb Brovsky (8 points) - 7.7
- Dimitry Imbongo (8 points) - 0.1
- Darlington Nagbe (8 points) - 8.2
- Steven Lenhart (8 points) - 0.8
- Brad Evans - (8 points) - 4.7
- Lamar Neagle (8 points) - 5.5
- Bobby Convey (8 points) - 1.0
The average (owned by percentage) of all 21 players listed above is a measly 4.9 percent and only two of them are owned by more than 8.2 percent of owners.
Yes, there are a few outliers, or guys who showed well that normally don't play that much, but this will not go away. There are always going to be players who surprise you when it comes to MLS fantasy. Whether or not you choose to take the risk associated with the acquisition of these players will determine how much you rise or fall from here on out.
Now let's take a look at the players who are most-owned in MLS Fantasy and how they fared in Round 23.
Most-owned players in MLS Fantasy (percentage)
Of the ten players listed below, Aurelien Collin, Omar Gonzalez, Chris Wondowlowski and Michel did not play in Round 23. Between the six others who did play, the average score was 3.8 points.
- Graham Zusi (3 points) - 42.1
- Mike Magee (7 points) - 37.1
- Aurelien Collin (0 points) - 34.0
- Amobi Okugo (5 points) - 29.3
- Federico Higuain (2 points) - 22.2
- Chris Wondolowski (0 points) - 20.2
- Jose Goncalves (4 points) - 19.9
- Michel Garbini Pereira (0 points) - 19.7
- Omar Gonzalez (0 points) - 19.4
- Jamison Olave (2 points) - 19.0
Let's not get things twisted, these players are ranked this way for a reason. Five are among the Top 5 in total scoring and eight are among the Top 11 overall so far. While this somewhat justifies the amount of people they're owned by, it doesn't necessarily mean they're the best players to own right now.
All of these players are going to have poor performances in the future. How you adjust your team, formation, captain and substitution method over the next few rounds could change everything. Will you take the risk or play it safe?