Rumor Central: Major overhaul of Chivas USA has already begun, more changes coming
If there were any time to argue for a massive midseason overhaul, an 11-game, three-month winless streak would be it.
The whispers are growing louder that Chivas USA are set to make major changes, perhaps starting as early as Monday.
First came the news on Saturday that Rangers FC had allowed Carlos Bocanegra out of his contract. And bizarrely, even the club’s official site said the former US national team captain had been in talks with Chivas USA – the first anyone’s heard that link – even though Toronto FC sit atop the allocation order.
Then came a tweet on Saturday night from winger Laurent Courtois that the Frenchman had “played my last game” with the Goats despite bagging an impressive golazo in Chivas’ 1-1 draw with New England, a result that snapped a seven-game losing streak that tied the club record for futility.
“It was my last game with @cdchivasusa,” Courtois said in a protected tweet. “Happy to finish with a golito. Learned a lot and met buena gente. Thanks for the love everyone.”
On Sunday afternoon, the news became official, when Chivas USA announced it had declined contract options for the Frenchman along with Miller Bolaños and waived defender Joaquín Velázquez.
That news came along with the announcement that forward Giovani Casillas was recalled to Guadalajara, which matches up with earlier reports that young striker Erick "El Cubo" Torres would move the other way from Mexico to Southern California.
In a Sunday report at MedioTiempo.com, Torres (at right) acknowledged himself that the long-rumored move to Chivas USA is indeed about to go down, apparently on a loan from the mother ship in Mexico.
"If I have to go and play in the MLS, I will have to adapt as quickly as possible,” the 20-year-old is quoted as saying, “ask for help from my colleagues who are there if I am to seize the opportunity, establish myself, that’s what’s important for growth.”
Guadalajara coach Benjamín Galindo also confirmed the move in a report in Mexican daily Record.
Chivas USA had no comment on any of the reports when contacted by MLSsoccer.com on Sunday.