US Open Cup: Cascadia clash highlights potential fourth-round matchups
The US Open Cup is rolling along, and even as MLS teams prepare to enter in next week's third round, the fourth-round pairings have already been set, and there are some potentially tasty ones.
The pick of the litter is a possible Cascadia matchup between the Seattle Sounders and Portland Timbers, though the Sounders must win in a tough trip to face the Tampa Bay Rowdies first. Portland will need to beat the Wilmington Hammerheads of the USL PRO at home to get to the fourth round.
Other potential fourth-round matchups out there include a SuperClásico showdown between the LA Galaxy and Chivas USA and an intra-Texas clash between the Houston Dynamo and FC Dallas.
The third round is set to take place on May 28-29, and the fourth round will occur on June 12. The fourth-round winners will advance to quarterfinals on June 26.
The exact scheduling and location of the games will be determined by which teams advance. All the permutations for fourth round pairings can be found on U.S. Soccer's website.
Potential US Open Cup fourth-round pairings (home teams TBD):
- New York Red Bulls (MLS) or Reading United AC (PDL) vs. New England Revolution (MLS) or Rochester Rhinos (USL PRO)
- Philadelphia Union (MLS) or Ocean City Nor'easters (PDL) vs. D.C. United (MLS) or Richmond Kickers (USL PRO)
- Columbus Crew (MLS) or Dayton Dutch Lions (USL PRO) vs. Chicago Fire (MLS) or Charlotte Eagles (USL PRO)
- Colorado Rapids (MLS) or Orlando City SC (USL PRO) vs. Sporting Kansas City (MLS) or Des Moines Menace (PDL)
- Houston Dynamo (MLS) or FC Tucson (PDL) vs. FC Dallas (MLS) or Fort Lauderdale Strikers (NASL)
- Chivas USA (MLS) or LA Blues (USL PRO) vs. LA Galaxy (MLS) or Carolina RailHawks (NASL)
- San Jose Earthquakes (MLS) or Charleston Battery (USL PRO) vs. Real Salt Lake (MLS) or Atlanta Silverbacks (NASL)
- Portland Timbers (MLS) or Wilmington Hammerheads (USL PRO) vs. Seattle Sounders (MLS) or Tampa Bay Rowdies (NASL)