Kick Off: Soccer world reacts to New York City FC expansion blockbuster announcement
Here are the Top 15 soccer stories we’re following today.
1. NYCFC EXPANSION NEWS AS BIG AS BECKHAM? They're calling it "the biggest MLS announcement since David Beckham." Tuesday's news unveiling the newest MLS expansion club, New York City FC, is everywhere this morning. See the reports by the New York Daily News, The Associated Press, Reuters, ESPN.com and SI.com. It was even plastered in Times Square yesterday.
2. NYCFC MAKE FIRST ANNOUNCEMENT TODAY: The club will be formally introduced at a press conference to be held in conjunction with a Manchester City soccer clinic in East Harlem. Mayor Bloomberg is slated to attend the event, where the club will also unveil its first appointment. Find out who it is on MLSsoccer.com at 10 am ET or watch it live on the YES Network.
3. WILL NYCFC ALSO WEAR SKY BLUE KITS? That's the hint given by Manchester City CEO Ferran Soriano and that proclamation was taken to heart by one graphic artist on Reddit, who was excited enough to mock-up a logo for the club and four different kit designs. Needless to say, the new club's identity has been a major talking point for MLS fans.
4. YANKEES INVOLVEMENT CAUSES STIR: No one saw that one coming. The involvement of the New York Yankees as minority investors in the NYCFC ownership group made headlines across the country. Yankees president Randy Levine explains the rationale for the move here and then talks about the possibility of the new club's matches being played at Yankee Stadium and televised on the YES Network. Reports are already speculating on the Yankees' percentage share.
5. WHERE WILL NYCFC PLAY? Soriano made it clear that New York City Football Club will be playing in a temporary venue when the team kicks off in 2015, while ownership finalizes plans for a permanent home. He says the short-term solution will be needed for "two years, maybe three" and one of the options could be Yankee Stadium.
6. WHAT'S NEXT FOR MLS EXPANSION? During a media teleconference call on Tuesday which followed the announcement, the MLS Commissioner provided an update as to the future timeline for the addition of new teams to the league, including naming a few candidates. Meanwhile, Orlando City say they want to move quickly on their expansion bid, which could mean adding more investors.
7. CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT IN 2015? Although Commissioner Garber said it was too early to talk league realignment when NYCFC join the league in 2015, Houston Dynamo president Chris Canetti tells HoustonDynamo.com that "it would seem to make sense that the Dynamo are relocated back to the Western Conference."
8. NY CLUBS REACT TO BIRTH OF NYCFC: New York Red Bulls GM Jerome de Bontin congratulated NYCFC's new ownership group in a statement that never makes mention of the new club's name. Meanwhile, the New York Cosmos CEO says that he believes New York City could end up supporting four pro soccer teams.
9. USMNT PLAYERS STAYING FIT: After news that DaMarcus Beasley was training with the NASL's Fort Lauderdale Strikers to stay in shape ahead of USMNT camp, we also find out that Stuart Holden was at Houston Dynamo training to get ready for his first USMNT call-up since 2010. That's not the only thing going on in Holden's life. He's also trying to sell "quality" furniture on Craigslist.
10. MLS ALL-STAR GAME OPPONENT: There's a new clue as to who might be taking on the MLS All-Stars on July 31 in Kansas City. According to Jack Bell at The New York Times says that for the first time since 2005, the opponent won't be a British team.
11. CRUYFF AT D.C. UNITED? Ben Olsen's team could be harkening back to the old NASL days in DC with one of the players currently on trial at the club. Jesjua Cruyff, grandson of former Washington Diplomat and world star Johan Cruyff, is one of three trialists hoping to win a spot on the roster. His lineage is detailed here.
12. MLS AFFILIATES BOUNCED IN OPEN CUP ROUND 2: Catch all 16 results from the Lamar Hunt US Open Cup second round matches played yesterday and here are the match-ups facing MLS clubs when they enter the fray next week in Round 3.
13. CHELÍS ADMITS SOMETHING HAS TO CHANGE AT CHIVAS: While making an appeal for two or three reinforcements from Chivas Guadalajara, Chivas USA manager José Luis "Chelís" Sánchez Solá" admits that "What I do understand is that after six games without a win, there has to be some change. That analysis has to come from management and there are many ways to change [things]." (SPANISH)
14. SUSPENSION FORTHCOMING FOR HEADBUTT: Houston Dynamo veteran defender Bobby Boswell is already aware of the punishment coming his way from the MLS Disciplinary Committee for his headbutt on New England striker Dimitry Imbongo. Find out what his ban here, as we await for official word from MLS.
15. TODAY'S TV LISTINGS: With competitions wrapping up all across Europe, this will be a light Wednesday on the international scene with only Copa Libertadores action to look forward to on Fox Deportes (doubleheader begins at 6:30 pm ET). Speaking of Libertadores, check out the reception Ronaldinho received on Atlético Mineiro's arrival in Tijuana for their Thursday matchup vs. Xolos. (VIDEO)
Get the Kick-Off delivered to you!
Enter your email address and favorite team below to sign up for The Kick-Off mailing list and get it delivered to your inbox every morning.