Walter Ayovi open to any MLS offer, but Monterrey still priority
NEW YORK – Ecuadorian midfielder Walter Ayoví is still open to a move to Major League Soccer, but says remaining with Monterrey is still his No. 1 priority.
On the heels of a third straight CONCACAF Champions League title, which he helped Los Rayados win last week, Ayoví told FutbolMLS.com that his first aim is to re-sign a new contract with the Liga MX side – following the expiration of his current deal in June – in order to compete in a third FIFA Club World Cup in December.
“Because of what I’ve achieved with this team, it would be something historic for me,” the Ecuadorian international said via phone on Monday.
During four years with Monterrey, Ayoví has won two league titles in addition to the three CONCACAF crowns. He could obtain a sixth trophy if Monterrey advance in the Liga MX playoffs, where they’ll face crosstown rivals Tigres UANL in the quarterfinals later this week.
If he doesn’t agree on terms for a new deal with Monterrey, Ayoví says he will explore options with other Liga MX clubs, and will remain interested in joining an MLS team.