MLS Fantasy: Defenders vs. midfielders, LA's injuries, how to plan for double-fixture weeks ahead
NOTE: Join the MLS ExtraTime Radio league! We’re giving away FREE MLS Live subscriptions after every round. Click “Leagues”---> Join a private league ---> Enter this code: 7953-1611
MLS Fantasy Soccer: Manager Experts Jason Saghini and Andrew Wiebe are back again with another episode of the Starting Lineup (above), answering the questions you submitted to @MLSFantasy. This is an important week because all transfers must be finalized by Wednesday, April 17, at 7:15 pm ET. You’ll find several useful tips and sleepers in the video above so be sure to check it out. Good luck managers!
1. Derek J McCracken (@TCubillas) asks: What's up with Todd Dunivant? Is he injured, being rested, in danger of losing his nailed-on starting position? (@MLSFantasy comment)
Dunivant is injured. He’s dealing with a strain high in his left leg which will likely result in a “Questionable” tag later this week. It’s quite possible he could play this weekend at home against Sporting KC, but right now it’s too early to predict.
Tip: Here are some alternative options if you’re thinking of using a transfer to swap him out: Markus Holgersson ($4.7m), Chance Myers ($5.3m)
2. Mike Beck (@mbeck11) asks: Worth the four-point deduction to get Markus Holgersson for Tyson Wahl? Which player has better upside long-term? (@MLSFantasy comment)
For it to be worth it, Holgersson will likely need to secure a clean sheet in at least one of his matches this round. Is it possible? Yes, but let’s take a closer look at the facts:
- Tyson Wahl is averaging 3.5 points/game
- Markus Holgersson is averaging 5.0 points/game
- Chicago have scored four goals in their past two games at Toyota Park
- Columbus have one clean sheet this season (Round 1 vs Chivas USA)
Tip: Holgersson has more value going forward. The New York Red Bulls have two games in Round 11 and the Columbus Crew only have one.
3. Steve Manning (@ClutchCitySteve) asks: How does the system manage the two games this week for SKC players? Are they averaged or added? (@MLSFantasy comment)
Nothing is ever averaged in Fantasy Soccer: Manager. Every time a player has multiple games in a round their points will be added together. This is why it's crucial that you capitalize on those moments. It’s best to plan in advance so that you don't accrue penalties for extra transfers.
Tip: At least one team will play multiple games in each of the following rounds: 11, 12, 16, 22, 27, 29, 30, 35, 36.
4. Justin Abeling (@frankodamanko) asks: When is the roster cutoff for this week? (@MLSFantasy comment)
Wednesday, April 17, at 7:15 pm ET. The cutoff for transfers each week is listed in the “Fixtures” section above the first scheduled match. That being said, you’ll be able to sub players in and out of your lineup on Thursday as long as they haven’t played in a match on Wednesday.
Tip: Make sure you have some depth on your bench at all times. If you have players who might not play because of injuries or bye weeks, you should get them out of your lineup if possible.
5. Justin Brightbill (@ustinSaysThis) asks: With KC and NY both playing two matches but also playing each other, how do I maximize points without cancelling the two out? (@MLSFantasy comment)
Good question. This is really what makes the double-game week so difficult. Since clean sheets and goals are the best way to earn points, players in line for either of those cause the most concern. I like to stick with midfielders or guys who accumulate bonus points. Here are my thoughts:
- Forwards – Expensive and risky. Don’t use an extra transfer on them if you don't have to.
- Midfielders – Stock up. Graham Zusi and Dax McCarty should end the week with 8-10 points, even without a goal or an assist. Oriol Rosell is a great bargain as well.
Defenders – Clean sheets are nice, but you can’t bank on them. I like to go for center backs, who average the most bonus points per game.
- Aurélien Collin – 17.5 CBIs, 6.0 recoveries (On my team)
- Matt Besler – 13.8 CBIs, 7.4 recoveries
- Markus Holgersson – 8.2 CBIs, 8.6 recoveries (On my team)
- Jámison Olave – 12.8 CBIs, 6.1 recoveries