Over There: Fire GK Johnson will train with Stoke, Everton
It’s become something of an offseason tradition: While veterans rest and recover from a grueling year, some of the league’s best and brightest youngsters head overseas for some cultural immersion in the European game.
And in that sense, this offseason is, at this point, no different than any other.
So far, 19 MLS players have signed on for training stints of various lengths scattered from the Bosphorus to Paradise. This is the list of trainees as it stands on Thursday, Dec. 6. And remember … until you hear otherwise, they’re only training stints, not transfer targets.
- Chicago Fire: Austin Berry (Atlético Madrid)
- Chicago Fire: Jalil Anibaba (Atlético Madrid)
- Chicago Fire: Sean Johnson (Stoke City, Everton)
- Chivas USA: Juan Agudelo (Celtic)
- Colorado Rapids: Andre Akpan (Derby County)
- Colorado Rapids: Tony Cascio (Derby County)
- Colorado Rapids: Chris Klute (Derby County)
- Colorado Rapids: Martín Rivero (Derby County)
- Colorado Rapids: Steward Ceus (Sunderland)
- New York Red Bulls: Connor Lade (Sevilla FC)
- Philadelphia Union: Freddy Adu (Galatasaray)
- Philadelphia Union: Michael Farfan (SC Freiberg)
- Philadelphia Union: Cristhian Hernandez (Real Sociedad)
- Philadelphia Union: Zac MacMath (Everton)
- Philadelphia Union: Jimmy McLaughlin (TSG Hoffenheim)
- Philadelphia Union: Amobi Okugo (SC Freiberg)
- Philadelphia Union: Zak Pfeffer (TSG Hoffenheim)
- Sporting Kansas City: Kei Kamara (Stoke City)
- Toronto FC: Luis Silva (FSV Frankfurt)