FutbolMLS.com 2012 Latino del Año voting to launch Thursday, Nov. 8
NEW YORK -- There's only one guarantee in this year's edition of the FutbolMLS.com Latino del Año: A new winner will be crowned.
Former Sporting Kansas City forward Omar Bravo was the last man standing in the 2011 tournament and he will be succeeded by another of the league's Latino stars as fan voting kicks off for the second edition of the competition on Thursday, November 8.The popular tournament-style format also returns with a group phase, Round of 16, quarterfinals, semifinals and final with the match-ups at each stage determined by fan ballots.
MLSsoccer.com and FutbolMLS.com editors selected 32 latino players that made an impact throughout the 2012 MLS regular season and a draw was held to divide the players in eight (8) groups of four (4) players each. The top two vote-getters advance to the Round of 16.
Every week, the tournament moves on to a new stage with the 2012 Latino del Año winner announced on Monday, December 3.
2012 LATINO DEL AÑO SCHEDULE
- Thursday, November 8 – Voting opens for Group phase
- Tuesday, November 13 – Qualifiers from group stage announced & voting opens for Round of 16
- Saturday-Sunday, November 17-18 – Round of 16 winners announced & voting opens for quarterfinals
- Monday, November 26 – Quarterfinal winners announced & voting opens for semifinals
- Thursday, November 29 – Semifinal winners announced and voting opens for final
- Monday, December 3 – 2012 Latino del Año winner is unveiled