NY's Marquez out two weeks as injury nightmares continue

UPPER MONTCLAIR, N.J. – You've probably heard this one before: Rafa Márquez has been sidelined by injury.

Following Tuesday morning’s training session, New York Red Bulls head coach Hans Backe told reporters that the Mexican international will miss at least the next two weeks with a hamstring strain. The midfielder sustained the knock in the early stages of Saturday’s 1-1 draw with the New England Revolution before being replaced in the 35th minute.

“He hasn’t had the possibility to be consistent in training this season,” said Backe. “He’s been in and out, injuries and things like that, so it’s not really a really a surprise that you pick up things. I would say it’s quite common.”

When asked if Márquez’s constant injury problems are similar to the recurring ones defender Wilman Conde suffered earlier in the season, Backe said the two players’ situations are comparable.

“In this sport, you need to be able to train months,” said Backe. “You can’t be in and out and pick up [injuries], if it’s a calf, groin, whatever it is, [or] it will always be that way for the whole season.”

The 33-year-old Márquez has played in just a dozen games during an injury-plagued 2012 season. He has started 11 matches and recorded three assists, but his participation has been limited to 792 minutes.