Impact admit they've had talks with Dutch veteran Seedorf

MONTREAL – The Montreal Impact could be turning to Serie A again for reinforcements. The club confirmed on Tuesday that it has discussed financial terms with the agent of veteran Dutch midfielder Clarence Seedorf.

After signing Designated Player striker Marco Di Vaio last month, Montreal admitted they were looking for a playmaker to pull strings in midfield. The Impact likely believe Seedorf would fit the bill perfectly.

According to the club, no formal offer has been made, but sporting director Nick De Santis told reporters on Tuesday that figures have been exchanged with the representative of the three-time European Championship veteran, who left AC Milan last month after a decade spent with the Rossoneri.

De Santis described as “on hold” the negotiations not only with Seedorf, but also with former Germany skipper Michael Ballack, who has received an offer from the club. The Impact sporting director also explained that signing a second DP, while not an absolute priority, was at the very least a strong possibility.

“It’s not that it’s a must; we’re just looking at options,” De Santis said at halftime of Montreal’s Reserve League match against New England on Tuesday. “And if there are options that are viable, that fit into what we’re trying to do, with the type of player we’re trying to get, then it becomes an option.”