Saputo throws cold water on Corradi, Del Piero rumors

MONTREAL – Impact president Joey Saputo denied on Friday that striker Bernardo Corradi was considering leaving the Montreal club when his contract expires at the end of June.

Reports putting the Italian's future with the Impact in jeopardy had surfaced on Thursday, but Saputo dismissed the reports, which claimed that Corradi (above) had been a standby signing during the wait for Marco Di Vaio and that he was homesick, as "ridiculous."

"Negotiations are still on with Corradi," Saputo said in a press conference during a tour of soon-to-reopen Saputo Stadium. "He wants to stay in Montreal. ... His family has been here for a few weeks, they went in Florida together."

Corradi found a familiar face to hang out with in Florida: former Juventus striker Alessandro Del Piero, who was – once again – linked with the Montreal Impact on Friday morning.

While Saputo confirmed that the two former Serie A forwards had played tennis together in Miami, he declined to elaborate on the possibility of a second Italian DP signing.

"The last discussions we had with his people happened last August," Saputo said. "His brother told me Del Piero wanted to come to MLS, but that he was looking to New York and LA. ... As far as I'm concerned, this ship has sailed."