MLS suspends and fines NYRB's Marquez, SJ's Chavez
NEW YORK – Rafa Marquez is looking at his second suspension in six months after the Major League Soccer Disciplinary Committee ruled the New York Red Bulls defender out for three games on Thursday for his actions against Shea Salinas of the San Jose Earthquakes last Saturday.
WATCH: Marquez tangles with Salinas
The Disciplinary Committee ruled that "Marquez tackled, fell on and kicked his opponent" in the 42nd minute of the April 14 match against the Quakes and his "actions were viewed as violent conduct that demonstrated blatant disregard for the safety of his opponent."
Marquez’s suspension begins this Sunday when the Red Bulls play D.C. United at RFK Stadium and continues for New York’s games against New England Revolution (April 28) and LA Galaxy (May 5).
Marquez only recently returned to action after serving the final two games of a three-game suspension he received for throwing the ball at Landon Donovan and being involved in an on-field fracas following New York's playoff game at Red Bull Arena against the Galaxy on October 30, 2011. Marquez was shown a red card after that match, rulling him out for one game, and an additional two games were tacked on by the Disciplinary Committee.
WATCH: Chavez comes in hard on Miller
San Jose Earthquakes midfielder Marvin Chavez was also suspended for one game for a "reckless challenge" on left back Roy Miller "that endangered the safety of his opponent" which was disciplined with a yellow card at the time of the infraction.
Chavez will serve his suspension this Saturday during his team’s game against Real Salt Lake.
Both Marquez and Chavez were also fined an undisclosed amount for their actions in this weekend's 2-2 draw at Red Bull Arena.
Fines collected will be donated to the charitable partners of MLS W.O.R.K.S. and the MLS Players Union.
Major League Soccer Disciplinary Committee action in 2012
- Colin Clark suspended for three games and fined for using a homophobic slur on the field
- Adam Moffat suspended and fined for one game for a reckless challenge
- Alvaro Fernandez fined for embellishment of contact
- Brandon McDonald suspended and fined for one game for a reckless challenge
- Jair Benitez suspended and fined for one game for violent conduct
- Atiba Harris suspended and fined for one game for violent conduct
- Danny Cruz fined for embellishment of contact
- Shalrie Joseph suspended and fined for one game for reckless challenge