Conde's status unclear ahead of weekend match vs. Crew

Wilman Conde

Photo Credit: 
Getty Images

UPPER MONTCLAIR, N.J. – The injury bug just won’t seem to leave the New York Red Bulls alone.

Center back Wilman Conde and midfielder Rafa Márquez did not train with the Red Bulls on Tuesday morning, as both continued to nurse the groin strains picked up in last Saturday’s 5-2 win over the Montreal Impact.

“Both will train tomorrow,” head coach Hans Backe told MLSsoccer.com. “We have to be a little bit smart with Wilman, of course being out that long, so we don’t [have him] pick up any hamstring or thigh injuries. He will probably have a day off per week with just treatment.”

Márquez’s injury does not appear a threat to his availability for Saturday’s game vs. the Columbus Crew. But Conde, who has already missed two games this season due to injury, is more of a doubt, with a team spokesman saying Conde is going to be listed as questionable for the trip to Columbus.

Márquez and Conde were not the only ones who picked up knocks against the Impact. Starting goalkeeper Ryan Meara also sustained an injury, albeit a minor one that does not look to keep the rookie out of this weekend’s match.

“He took a hit on his hip but he trained today, so he is OK,” Backe said.

One player who is undoubtedly going to miss Saturday’s game is forward Juan Agudelo. The 19-year-old is still recovering from the meniscus tear in his left knee that was sustained while with the US Under-23 men’s national team last month.

“He keeps going with his rehabilitation and it looks quite OK,” Backe said. “I think normally, as I said before, it’s around six weeks with that kind of injury.”

Franco Panizo covers the New York Red Bulls for MLSsoccer.com. He can be reached at Franco8813@gmail.com.