American Exports: Orozco still optimistic over MLS move

Moises Orozco - March 3, 2012

Photo Credit: 
Don Montague - MLS

GUADALAJARA, Mexico — Moises Orozco returned to Tigres UANL last week following a preseason trial with Toronto FC, but the 20-year-old striker says the door is not completely shut for a future move.

“They said they were very satisfied with my performance, that they really like me, but that due to the roster, it wasn't going to be possible right now,” Orozco told MLSsoccer.com on Monday.

The Oxnard, Calif., native traveled north looking for the possibility of securing a loan deal with the Canadian club and, although it didn’t work out this time, he was left with a pleasant impression about Toronto and life in MLS.  

“It was a great experience with Toronto, the team was good,” Orozco said. “I really liked it out there, it was really nice. It was a little different, soccer-wise. Life-wise, everything was different.”

Orozco said the style of play was faster, more physical and more direct, but that after a couple of days acclimatizing, he adapted without much trouble and was used as both a striker and a No. 10.

The highlight of his time with TFC was a golazo against Swedish club BK Häcken in the Disney Pro Soccer Classic tournament in Orlando, Fla.

The trial was brokered, in part, by TFC Academy director Thomas Rongen, who was Orozco's coach at the US Under-20 level. Rongen told TFC boss Aron Winter about Orozco when the coach was looking for a forward who could play in multiple positions along TFC's front line.

Orozco doesn't discount a move to MLS in the future after being impressed at Toronto. But as for his immediate plans, he's back in Monterrey working hard with the Tigres U-20s, awaiting that opportunity to step into the first team.

“That's the goal,” he said, “to get in and get some games.”