Longtime MLS goalkeeper Conway calls it a career
Longtime MLS goalkeeper Jon Conway announced his retirement on Tuesday, ending a 12-year career that saw him play for five teams and win two MLS Cups.
Conway most recently played for the Chicago Fire, earning six starts during the 2011 season. The LA Galaxy scooped Conway up during Stage 2 of the Re-Entry Draft in December, but Conway declined the opportunity to sign with the defending MLS Cup Champions.
Conway likely would have served as a backup in LA to presumed starter Josh Saunders.
“After talking to [head coach Bruce Arena] about the opportunity in LA and evaluating my options, it just felt like a good time to transition out of the game,” Conway said in a statement. “It’s been a pleasure to witness the growth of the sport and the league in the United States. I’d like to thank everyone who’s been a part of it, my teammates, my coaches, the fans and especially my family for supporting me throughout the years.”
Conway broke into the league with the San Jose Earthquakes in 2000, where he made 18 appearances over the course of five seasons, serving as a member of the 2001 and 2003 MLS Cup championship sides. He was traded to the New York Red Bulls before the 2006 season and eventually appeared in a career-high 28 games for the club in 2008.
He also suited up for Chivas USA and Toronto FC before he landed in Chicago last year, where he battled incumbent starter Sean Johnson for the top spot in net.
“Jon Conway is a professional in every sense of the word,” Fire head coach Frank Klopas said. “Jon provided a veteran presence in our locker room and on the field. We wish him all the best in the next step of his career.”