Dynamo re-sign Boswell after solid season in 2011
HOUSTON – When the list of eligible players for the MLS Re-Entry draft was released earlier this week, one name that jumped out was the Houston Dynamo’s Bobby Boswell.
It turns out that his time on that list was short-lived.
Houston struck a deal with their defensive leader Thursday to keep Boswell in Dynamo orange.
“Our intentions were always to have Bobby return,” Dynamo president of business operations Chris Canetti told MLSsoccer.com on Thursday afternoon. “We simply had to restructure the contract, which we were happily able to finalize today.”
Boswell started 27 games in 2011, including all four playoff games, and tied for the team lead with five goals scored.
While the stats were good for Boswell, his leadership on the back line was perhaps even more valuable. Boswell will return to a back four that looks to return all starters – including Andre Hainault, Corey Ashe and Geoff Cameron – along with Jamaican international Jermaine Taylor.
Boswell played a big role in organizing a Dynamo defense that gave up just seven goals in their last 10 games – including just two in four postseason games.
“We feel it is important to go into the off-season with the backline intact,” Canetti said. “Now with that accomplished, we can focus our efforts on other areas of need.”
With Boswell re-signing with the club, the Dynamo will have three players available for the Re-Entry Draft including right back Hunter Freeman, forward Jason Garey and original Dynamo center back Eddie Robinson.
Darrell Lovell covers the Houston Dynamo for MLSsoccer.com.