Costly's time with Dynamo at an end after Cup loss
CARSON, Calif. – While the media contingent at MLS Cup 2011 focused on the next career move of LA Galaxy star David Beckham, one of the Houston Dynamo’s high-profile internationals was waving goodbye.
“I have one year left on my contract with Atlas,” forward Carlo Costly told FutbolMLS.com after the match. “I’m finished with the [Dynamo]. I’m grateful for the opportunity they gave me, and next month I will be in preseason with Atlas.”
The Honduran international arrived on loan from the Mexican side this summer and scored one goal in 11 regular-season matches for the Dynamo. He also had a playoff goal in four substitute appearances in the postseason.
“Having finished up with the league here, I have to go find a team to prepare myself and train ahead of qualifying with Honduras in order to get there in good conditions,” Costly said of CONCACAF World Cup qualifying, which begins in June.
When asked about Costly’s statements, Dynamo president Chris Canetti confirmed that no final decision had been taken by the club. As an Atlas player, the Mexican club could still decide to send him on loan again to the Dynamo or another MLS club.
“We're going to meet with all the players this week and we have decisions to make and he's one of them,” Canetti told MLSsoccer.com. “I don't think, tonight, we're prepared to comment on the future of any of our players. He may have made some comments, but as an organization we'll wait until later in the week.”
Costly called his MLS campaign bittersweet and was self-critical, admitting that he failed to take advantage of the opportunity given to him. In his seven regular-season starts, the Honduran striker did not find the back of the net.
“Normal,” Costly said of his time in MLS. “In the beginning I was a starter and unfortunately it wasn’t happening but I would give myself a 7 out of 10 [for his stay in MLS]. Adapting to the team cost me a little but I was here for a reason.”
Costly also came away feeling he could have contributed more to his team’s bid for MLS Cup 2011 on Sunday night.
“I played 20 minutes and touched the ball three times,” he told FutbolMLS.com. “There was no opportunity there. It was complicated. Twenty minutes is not a lot.
“We faced a team that is a deserving champion and we leave with our heads held high knowing that we did good things. We came thinking we were going to win and we leave happy to play toe-to-toe against a big club like the Galaxy”