Dynamo deny reports of offer for Costa Rican int'l

Alvaro Sanchez had been on trial with Houston

Photo Credit: 
Wilf Thorne/Houston Dynamo

HOUSTON — The Houston Dynamo shot down reports out of Costa Rica today that the club has agreed to a loan deal for Álvaro Sánchez.

Al Día is reporting that the Dynamo had come to terms with his current club, San Carlos, on a deal that was dependent on Sánchez’s approval.

“We have not made an offer to Álvaro,” Dynamo president of business operations Chris Canetti told MLSsoccer.com on Saturday afternoon. “We’ve had discussions to understand what a deal might look like but we haven’t made a proposal to the club or offer.”

Sánchez has been training with the Dynamo since July 15, but severe blisters kept the midfielder out of action for much of his first week in town. The injury forced Sánchez to miss a July 20 friendly against Bolton Wanderers that saw two other trialists — Ecuadorian forward Miler Castillo and German midfielder Björn Lindemann — play in the match.

Due to the injuries, the Dynamo asked Sánchez to extend his stay with the club. Sánchez trained with the club during the past week including participating in Friday’s training.

While Canetti denied reports that a loan deal is done or an offer has been made, he admitted that the club is actively searching for more talent to acquire.

“We have a number of opportunities and players that we are pursuing at this point,” Canetti said. “[Sánchez] is included on that list, but we haven’t determined where we will go yet.”

Darrell Lovell covers the Houston Dynamo for MLSsoccer.com. Follow him on twitter at @Dynamoexaminer.