Active Bodies Active Minds | Reading
Active Bodies Active Minds | Reading
Living a healthy lifestyle isn't just about being physically active and eating right - you need to exercise your brain too!
Keep your mind active. Check out the following websites for resources to help you get started.
Summer Fit Learning
The new Summer Fit workbook series keeps young minds and bodies in shape during summer by helping you create simple, fun routines in your home that will positively impact your child's academic, physical and social performance throughout the school year.
Be sure to visit the Summer Fit Website for great resources including free games, summer reading lists and more.
Read Across America
National Education Association's Read Across America is an annual reading motivation and awareness program that calls for every child in every community to celebrate reading on March 2, the birthday of beloved children's author Dr. Seuss. NEA's Read Across America also provides NEA members, parents, caregivers and children the resources and activities they need to keep reading on the calendar 365 days a year.
Reading Rockets offers a wealth of reading strategies, lessons and activities designed to help young children learn how to read and read better. Our reading resources assist parents, teachers and other educators in helping struggling readers build fluency, vocabulary and comprehension skills.
Let's Read Let's Move
The goal of Let's Read. Let's Move. is simple, yet transformative. With partners, including the Departments of Education, Agriculture, Interior, and Health and Human Services, as well as the Institute of Museum and Library Sciences, we are expanding opportunities to engage young people in summer reading and physical activities, as well as providing access to healthy, affordable food.
Boots Saves The Day
New York Red Bulls goalkeeper Kevin Hartman understands the importance of keeping your mind in shape. Check out the children's book Kevin wrote about a farm kitten who loves soccer. Learn more.
- Madlenka Soccer Star by Peter Sis (2011)
- Soccer Hour by Carol Nevius and Bill Thomson (2011)
- Goal! My Soccer Book by David Diehl (2008)
- Soccer Scoop: Who’s making a fool of Mac? By Matt Christopher
- Zombies Don’t Play Soccer by Debbie Dadey and Marcia T. Jones (1995)
- Pele, King of Soccer/Pele, El rey de futbol by Monica Gutierrez (2008)
- Soccer Team Upset by Fred Bowen (2009)
- Soccer ‘Cats #3: Secret Weapon by Matt Christopher and Dan Vasconcellos (2002)
- Pele (DK Biography) by James Buckley (2007)
- Soccer Shootout by Maddox Jake Tiffany, and Sean Maddox (2007)
- Meg Mackintosh and the Mystery at the Soccer Match: A Solve-it-yourself Mystery) (1997)
- Super Soccer Freak Show by Kirk Scroggs (2007)
- SpongeBob, Soccer Star! By David Lewman and Stephen Reed (2010)
- Froggy Plays Soccer by Jonathan London and Frank Remkiewicz (2001)
- Soccer Game (level 1) (Hello Reader) by Grace Maccarone and Meredith Johnson (1994)
- Stacey The Soccer Fairy by Daisy Meadows (2010)
- Dino-Soccer by Lisa Wheeler and Barry Gott (2009)
- Soccer Hero (Matt Christopher Sports Fiction) by Stephanie True Peters (2007)
- Horrid Henry and the Soccer Fiend by Francesca Simon and Tony Ross (2009)
- Soccer Cats #1: The Captain Contest by Matt Christopher and Dan Vasconcellos (2001)
- Soccer World: South Africa: Explore the World Through Soccer by Ethan Zohn, David Rosenberg, and Shawn Braley (2010)
- K is for Kick: A Soccer Alphabet (Alphabet Books) by Brad Herzog and Melanie Rose (2006)
- The Everything Kids’ Soccer Book: Rules, techniques, and more about your favorite sport! (2009)
- Kids’ Book of Soccer: Skills, Strategies, and the Rules of the Game by Brooks Clark (2000)
- Kingfisher Soccer Encyclopedia by Clive Gifford (2010)
- Soccer Duel by Matt Christopher (2000)
- Soccer: The Ultimate Guide to the Beautiful Game by Clive Gifford (2004)
- Soccer Stars (High Interest Books) by Therese Shea (2007)
- The Wild Soccer Bunch, Book 1, Kevin the Star Striker by Joachim Marinne, and Jan Birck (2010)
- The World’s Greatest Soccer Players (Sports Illustrated Kids: the World’s Greatest Sports Stars) by Matt Doeden (2010)
*Reading List brought to you by the National Education Association