blog

Rumor Central: Beckham says no to Australia move

14 December 7:38 de la tarde

Rumor Central: Beckham says no to Australia move

By Jonah Freedman

The "As the Beckham Turns" soap opera took its latest twist on Friday with the former LA Galaxy star apparently shutting the door on a reported move to Australia.

Perth Glory owner Tony Sage told the A-League's official website that he ran into Beckham in London during a performance of the Spice Girls' new stage musical (obviously) and — let's give the man some credit — had the stones to corner him with the Big Question.

"I got the chance to chat to David and, of course, I asked him about coming to Australia," Sage told footballaustralia.com.au. "He looked me in the eye and basically said, 'That would be nice, but it's too far away from my businesses.'"

The former England captain and two-time MLS Cup winner had been linked to Perth, while rival A-League clubs Melbourne Heart and Central Coast Mariners also expressed interest in bringing the 37-year-old Down Under. But Sage doesn't see any of that working out.

"It would have been great to have him at Perth Glory, but it looks like that won't be happening," he said. "I just don't think he'll be coming to Australia, full stop."

So where to, Becks? Those reports of a return to England — or France, or China or the Middle East — are all still floating around.