2010 Re-Entry Process
2010 RE-ENTRY PROCESS
TIMELINE AND EVENT SCHEDULE
This document summarizes the process that will transpire after MLS Cup with regard to the Expansion and Re-Entry Process.
I. Expansion Draft Process – November 24
II. Re-Entry Process
a. Stage 1 Draft – December 8
b. Stage 2 Draft – December 15
I. Expansion Draft Process and Waiver Draft
The Expansion Draft for Portland and Vancouver will take place on Wednesday, November 24, 2010. The Expansion Draft Rules are attached hereto as Exhibit A. The Waiver Draft (the “Waiver Draft”) will also be held on November 24, 2010, which is the traditional waiver process for players who do not qualify for the Re-Entry Process.
II. Re-Entry Process
The Re-Entry Process will consist of the following players: (1) Players at least 23 years old with a minimum of 3 years of MLS experience whose options were not exercised (“Option Decline Players”), and (2) out of contract players who have not received a Bona Fide Offer1 and who are (a) at least 25 years old with a minimum of 4 years of MLS experience and/or (b) at least 30 years old with a minimum of 8 years of MLS experience (“Out of Contract Players”).
Please note, players may choose to opt out of the Re-Entry Process (Stage 1 and/or Stage 2) and have their rights remain with their current Club by notifying the League Office at any time prior to the applicable time ((a) December 3 at 12:00 pm and/or (b) December 13 at 12:00 pm).
1 Bona Fide Offer must meet the following minimum conditions: (1) “25/4 players” – first year salary at least equal to 2010 annual base salary and “30/8 players” – first year salary at least equal to 5% greater than their 2010 annual base salary; (2) option year salaries must increase by at least 5% each year; (3) term of 1+1+1; (4) the performance bonuses must be at least the same as the player’s performance bonuses in his previous year under contract; (5) for purposes of Stage 1, offers extended as of November 30 must remain open from November 30 until at least December 3 at 12:00 pm; and (6) for purposes of Stage 2, offers extended on December 8 must remain open from December 8 until at least December 13 at 12:00 pm. If a player declines to accept a Bona Fide Offer or the Club withdraws such Bona Fide Offer, the Club that extended the Bona Fide Offer will have a right of first refusal on such player and any subsequent offer may be less than the Bona Fide Offer.
The Re-Entry Process will consist of two separate drafts, a Stage 1 draft and a Stage 2 draft. In Stage 1, Clubs may select Option Decline Players at their option price and Out of Contract players at their Bona Fide Offer price. In Stage 2, Clubs may select players that were unselected in Stage 1 and who may be under contract or not under contract at that time. If a player is not under contract and the Club selects such player, the Club will be required to make a genuine offer to the player within seven (7) days (subject to League Office approval). If a player is not selected in either Stage 1 or Stage 2 of the Re-Entry Process, such player will be available on a first come first serve basis to all Clubs.
(all times Eastern Standard Time)
Monday, November 22
- 9:00 am – 1:00 pm: Trade window is open
- 2:00 pm: Clubs submit Expansion Draft lists to League Office with their protected players.
- 5:00 pm: League Office issues official Expansion Draft list with players available for selection by Portland and Vancouver.
Wednesday, November 24 – Expansion Draft and Waiver Draft
- 2:00 pm: Expansion Draft.
- 2:30 pm: League Office issues official Waiver Draft list.
- 3:30 pm: Waiver Draft for players not eligible for Re-Entry Process.
Tuesday, November 30
- 2:00 pm: All Clubs, including Expansion Clubs, notify League Office of (1) players whose options they are exercising and/or (2) players who are receiving Bona Fide Offers.
- 5:00 pm: League Office sends the following:
1. Option exercise letters (UPS next day air) to the applicable players2, with copies sent by email to the Players Union;
2. Bona Fide Offer letters, with Schedules attached (UPS next day air) to the applicable players to sign, with copies sent by email to the Players Union, which offers shall remain open at least until 12:00 pm on Friday, December 3; and
3. Email to the Clubs and Players Union the list of players (i) whose options will NOT be exercised and (ii) who will NOT be receiving Bona Fide Offers.
Note: Players identified in 1 or 2 above will not be included in the Re-Entry Process. Players identified in 3 above will be included in the Re-Entry Process, unless any such players opt out.
2 As part of the Re-Entry Draft process, the Players Union will extend the option exercise date for Option Decline Players to December 10.
From November 30 to December 3
- Between November 30 and December 3, Clubs may still:
1. Sign their own draft-eligible players to new contracts, and
2. Sign and trade such players to other Clubs, provided that all parties agree to such trade (i.e., current Club, future Club, and player).
Friday, December 3
- 12:00 pm: All Bona Fide Offers that were open as of November 30 may be withdrawn by Clubs.
- 2:00 pm: Beginning of blackout period whereby Clubs may no longer sign and/or trade their own draft-eligible players until December 9.
- 5:00 pm: League Office issues list of Re-Entry Process Stage 1 player pool to Clubs and the Players Union.
Wednesday, December 8 – Stage 1 of the Re-Entry Process
- 2:00 pm: League Office conducts Stage 1 of the Re-Entry Process (via conference call).
Draft Order and Length: Stage 1 draft order will be conducted in the same order as the traditional Waiver Draft with Vancouver selecting 17th and Portland selecting 18th. The Stage 1 draft will continue until no Clubs wish to make any selections. Clubs may NOT select their own draft-eligible players in Stage 1.
- 5:00 pm: For the players selected in Stage 1, the League Office sends the following:
1. Option exercise letters (UPS next day air) to the applicable players, with copies sent by email to the Players Union.
2. Bona Fide Offer letters, with Schedules attached (UPS next day air) to the applicable players to sign, with copies sent by email to the Players Union, which offers shall remain open at least until 12:00 pm on Monday, December 13.
- Note: Any player selected in Stage 1 will remain on drafting Club’s 2011 budget (at the option price or Bona Fide Offer price) until April 1, 2011. Clubs and players may not mutually renegotiate such price to a lower number until such date.
From December 9 to December 13
- League Office attempts to sign players who were not selected in Stage 1 in preparation for Stage 2. On December 9, blackout period ends and former Clubs may again sign and/or sign and trade their own draft- eligible players to new contracts (i.e., a Club may sign its player not selected in Stage 1), provided that all parties agree to any such trade (i.e., current Club, future Club and player).
Monday, December 13
- 12:00 pm: All Bona Fide Offers from December 8 may be withdrawn by Clubs.
- 2:00 pm: League Office issues list of Re-Entry Process Stage 2 player pool (such list will consist of players under contract and players not under contract). Beginning of blackout period whereby Clubs may no longer sign and/or trade their own draft-eligible players.
Wednesday, December 15 – Stage 2 of the Re-Entry Process
- 2:00 pm: League Office conducts Stage 2 of the Re-Entry Process.
Draft Order and Length: Stage 2 draft order will be conducted in the same order as Stage 1. Stage 2 will continue until no Club wishes to make any selections. Clubs may NOT select their own draft- eligible players in Stage 2 until all other Clubs have declined on selecting such players (i.e., a Club shall not be permitted to select any player from its 2010 roster until all other Clubs have passed on selecting such player).